Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pictures cutting in 1/2 ? Try and test here.. THink I repaired it! Woo Hoo!

Please post a few pictures in here that would normally be cut off or would have to be clicked on.

I doubled the size, so all picutres should show as long at they are not longer tha 1050 pixels.. It was defalt set on 550.

Please post some tests in here if you would and see if it worked! Thanks!

Michelle

Re: Pictures cutting in 1/2 ? Try and test here.. THink I repaired it! Woo Hoo!

Try this one, July in Washington state. Mt. Rainer. This was 30 miles away. 80 degree high.

Is that the whole picture? It will not post a HUGE one that runs into another screen , but it should post some pretty good sized ones now.

Thanks for testing it for me!!!

Michelle

Yep, that's the whole pic. Here's one that will cool you off. Hiking up to Hidden Lake, Glacier, Montana. 84 degrees, elevation 7000'. Notice the people in shorts and T-shirts. Some guys were snowboarding in shorts and no shirts. This was also in July. Left here with temps. running at 104, good arrowhead hunting country. Off the reservations that is. Good place to retire. I like the cold.

Test pic #1. . .Through the back window at wake up time. Badger last year at Digfest camp out.
It was really cold, only impostant part showing, little red nose !

Photobucket

Test pic #2. . . Artie, Badgers' nosey dig buddy !

Photobucket

Here's a picture of a couple Agave Knifs I uncovered last year. A good test for the bigger pictures.
Happy Hunting. AL. C

Photobucket

Well, atleast we have THAT figured out anyway!

I would rather have the OLD message board back, but they are repairing things a little at a time anyway!

Thanks
Michelle

Agave Knives

Al: I have been shown clumsy slabs from the Safford Valley of Arizona, and other locales in that area. Of those, my opinion is that you would have to sneak up an agave and beat it to death with those things.

Yours are the first I have seen that seem well formed,
maybe even sharp on the edges, etc. Where were these
found? I would guess Arizona, but would be great to know. How were they divined as agave knives by the project leader? I can't figure this out for the SW,
as ethnohistoric records usually describe the agave
being "cut" with a thin, chisel-edged piece of wood--
trimmed from a large straight branch...or small tree!

Thanks,

Tom Hester

Re: Agave Knives

Hi Tom,

The picture of the two Agave knives I posted were part of some things I uncovered on the Yums Wash site on the west side of Tucson.
I was digging there with Old Pueblo Archaeology Inc. It was a Hohokam site and we dug six or so pit houses. These two were on the floor along with some broke pots and some Glycymeris shell bracelets. When I ask what they were the young lady running the show told me they were Agave knives and that she had see a few of them over the years. Its hard to see in the bad pictures but the cutting edge was well worked and they were very sharp. I wished I had gotten better pictures at the time.
You could well be right on what they are. I don't know enough to say, just saying what I was told. I just love being in the dirt with the history and always wanting to learn.
Happy Hunting, AL. C

Photobucket

Al, can you remember what type of material the knives are made from?
How old was that site determined to be ? Your pic shows a fair depth of excavation for a part of the world that should have minimal aluvial deposits.

LOOK AT THAT SOIL. . . looks like Portland cement.

SH, I'm not sure but I think it was a Chert. The site was AD 750 through the Hohokam period. Most of the pit house floors were a couple feet deep. They were on the up hill side of the Santa Cruz River and had been filled in and covered by erosion. The soil is slit and sand. Once you find the floor and blow it off they are smooth and made of a plaster. More than likely water and clay. The hearth is just inside the doorway and it is plastered too but of a better material or just done better. That is what gives it the cement look.
Happy Hunting. AL. C

Here is one i dug up yesterday

Photobucket

Photobucket

SH, here's a picture of a hearth. You can see how it is plastered looking like cement.Notice the broken pot.
Happy hunting. AL. C

Photobucket

Sweet picture of that little beauty still in the ground, Eric. Thanks for sharing.
Happy hunting. AL. C

Thats a really GREAT pic of the hearth Al, with only a little imagination one can visualise the people fussing around that area. I wish I was the one to glue that pot together. I'd leave all those cracks nicely visable.
Your interest and knowledge of these things are now evident. . . you might not fit it into your next visit to TX but there is a similar professional excavation in Kingsland TX. Open to the public on the weekend or by request. All I can say here is to see if you can locate the details on the internet.

eric, Great point and neato insitu. What type of point are you calling that ?

AzAl, I'm reserecting this old history to complement your neat pics of the AZ dig.
Someone just gave me a copy of the AMERICAN ARCHAEOLOGY magazine from the Fall of 2008.
I was surprised to find a feature article that ran right through your backyard in Tucson !
Accredited archaeologists following the progress of a fiber optics trench across AZ,NM,TX revealed 268 seperate ancient sites, some significant.
What kind of a metropolis was your desert area in the old days that you can just dig a randon long hole in the ground and continuously strike civilisation ?

Photobucket

Too bad you have become addicted to large TX flint. The articles shows pics of the gorgeous pottery, jewelry, figuries, hard stone axes and effigies and missle point out of unique minerals found in that part of the world !

I think we have this problem worked out no? Anyone else having picture issues?

Michelle