Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What is this?

Ok, let's try this again! Hopefully the pics show this time. I found this recently along with my first arrowhead. Yeah! Does anyone know what this tool might be? I found an illustration that suggests it could be used to straighten arrows. The pitting within the grove does not look natural. Thanks for your help!
KC

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks,
KC

Re: What is this?

Are the sides worn smooth?

P.S. Lose the China made ruler.

Buy American

Amen Brother. Thats a wierd rock you got there, I have found countless weird rocks in mounds. I am sure they used all of them for some crazy purpose I will never understand. Best not too think to hard about it in this heat..

Leonard you crack me up

Yes, the sides are smooth.

shaft straightner?

If shaft straightener, wouldn't the inside be smooth?

Me thinks it's just an odd rock. AmerIndians were just like us.. They found an odd rock, that was colorful or had a strange shape/design, liked it, and took it back to camp to show off. Their rock collection. Couldn't drag all the rocks with them when they moved camp so they just left it there.
Even in surface hunting, I've found campsites and have found unusual rocks, not native to that area mixed in with the usual flakes, cores, and broken points. Some I even drug home. So you may have part of somebodies prehistoric rock collection.
All the shaft straighteners I've seen were worn smooth from use.

Weird Geofact

check out Waco Sinkers on line. Being that is broken in half it is hard to say, but if the groove looks man made I would call it a Waco Sinker especially if you found it at a campsite near water.

its a net sinker....

It is not a Waco sinker. The most recent issue of Prehistoric American features several collections of Waco sinkers and a collection of steatite ( talc schist ) fishnet weights from North Carolina that somewhat resemble this piece.