Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Arrowheads

This is my first post.

I have 3 grand nephews, ages 3-7, that I want to become "diggers". Although I know that you do not offer free advice, I need your help to push them in that direction. I plan to scatter some arrowheads (not pristine - broken or chips would do) on Mt. Bonnell and let them find them. Would appreciate you letting me know where I can purchase these items in Houston (preferably) or Austin.

Many thanks!

Re: Arrowheads

Children learn best by doing. I have taken my grand daughters on alot of digging sessions, and they have come to love it. They don't always make finds, but if you are interacting with young ones while looking or digging, then they are getting quality time, of which all children need. Since Mt. Bonnell park is managed by the City of Austin, picking up arrowheads planted or otherwise would be a no no with their regulations. I,m sure you could find a more appropriate setting for doing that. If you have any friends with land accessible to you, that would be best. Whatever you do with them, the most important thing is to make sure that they have fun doing it. Best Wishes!

i'm in Houston

I have some arrowheads, that i will give you, for the kids. I have boxes of partials, just collecting dust out in the garage. If i have to ship, i'll just charge you shipping. Let's get these kids some arrowheads. I'd be careful where you plant them, so not to let the public get in on your hunt, might want to consider an isolated spot.

Re: i'm in Houston

I agree with you. However, I live in Houston and they live in Dallas. We will only have 48 hours together. They like to play and will want to go to the lakes(s) and Zilker Park for the train ride, swimming, etc. This needs to be quick and easy as it was for me. After 50 years, I still remember the excitement when I found that "planted" flint.

Re: i'm in Houston

I will take whatever you can spare. Only need 3 to 6 partials. I live near Gessner & Briarforest. If you are nearby, I will come get them. If not, I will pay for the shipping.

My grand Three Amigos are so young, they don't care about $, cars, assets, etc. All they want is our time/fun/protection/love. I want to push them into Discovery/Adventure.

give me your address via email

I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, some of us just don't have time or access to the hill country. There are folks here that will naysay or bad mouth anything you do, so don't pay them any mind. Drop me a line via email, and i'll run some points by, i cover that area in my sales, and i'm through there at least once a week.
RGS

Re: give me your address via email

Seeing just is bad ummmm kay
(VERY bad impression off southpark)

Is "Wangle" named Mary?? Just trying to clafify which MARY we are talking about here..

If you are ever in Austin I have some brokens to donate to the cause.

Be Kind, Rewind

Michelle

it's Wayne

not Mary?????

Re: it's Wayne

I think is a good Idea, but I see others point of it, The way I see it is kind of like fishing, if you get a lot the 1st time and not any the next you might not like it as will.

Alex and Marsha (age 12 & 10 now) found there 1st ones just walking around a few years ago. Alex loves it Marsha not so much she just love to meet and talk with people.

Good luck and I am sure what ever you do the grand kids -r- going to love it cuz its with you. Be safe in this heat!!!!!

Re: it's Wayne

I agree with Glenn. Kids attention span isn't that long. They don't find something real quick, they've lost interest. Just like an Easter Egg hunt. Five-Ten minutes of walking around in the heat and no finds and it's play time. We took our son out nearly 20 years ago surface hunting. After 10 minutes of hunting, he was back in the truck reading comics. A few well placed plants, and a little guidance, and let the fun begin.

bottom line, it's their kids and their call!

I'm going to help them out by donating some points.

Re: bottom line, it's their kids and their call!

I think the Chrisner's thing sounds like a good idea. The first time I went I surfaced hunted for 30 min. and found a drill. Dug the rest of the time and didn't have much luck but I was probably digging in a bad spot. This way later down the road when they remember finding an arrowhead it would be legit.

Well the dust seems to have settled some, so that I can see my monitor screen. Here's some more amunition !

For the finding of neat things dont forget about fossils.
The main target of a field trip could be fossils then an arrowhead find wont seem so easter egg hunt like.
All of Mt Bonnel is a lump of ancient [ 100 million ]
year old sea bottom. There are several small picture books like " A field guide to Texas fossils " that should identify finds.
For the sake of training acuracy Mt Bonnel is actually the WORST place to hunt. Its a hill !
The prefered producing areas are lower DRAINAGES.

Your talking The Austin area. . . . Shoal creek runs right next to N.Lamar. It's rich with GOOD fossils and there is an extensive park / hiking trail system
there. Look around 10th st.
Absolutly no hassle with restrictions being city land. . .Our fossil club people hunt there on a regular basis [ after a rain, the fossils can be that good ! ]
Hopefully Glen will provide something Texas He's got flint from around the world,[ Outer Mongolia
wont be in the Texas flint field guides ]

Linked up with RGS today. He gave me a box of points, chips, etc. that will be just perfect for my 3 "grands". If this peaks their interest, in just a few years The Three Amigos will be real, professional diggers.

Many thanks, Ron I really appreciate it.

Wayne

Quite welcome, hope the kids enjoy!

Nice meeting up with you finally, hope the kids get a kick out of that box of points, and get hooked on points. Our hobby of collecting points, is always looking for nice new additions!
God bless,
RGS