Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Front page what is it?

My find is the third one down on the front page of the austin diggers website. Found it about 4 inches under the surface - friends were putting in an irrigation system. If you have any thought on what it is, age, tribe, value, etc., let me know. Thanks for your insight - I'm a "newbie" hunter - fortunate enough to get to Christner's a few times a year.

Re: Front page what is it?

Keli, where did you find it?

My first thought was a carrizo with the point blunted up some
Scott

Looks like a carrizo with an impact fractured tip
Tehuacana

Carrizos are small to medium size points with fine flaking. This piece is seven inches long.

In SW New Baunfels, in a newly developed residential neighborhood. There is flint everywhere. Our fridnds were putting in an irrigation system and the ditch witch machine hit it - about 5 inches below the surface. Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Keli, the big lithic you found is probably what Douglas said it was, a preform. Under some circumstances such a piece might be referred to as a trade or quarry blank and is generally associated with the Archaic period ( 6000BC to 300BC ). Such a piece could also have been hafted and used as an axe to cut fire wood. When Europeans first came to Texas the Indians in the area where you found your lithic were Tonkawas. It is of minimal monetary value but it is a nice big piece and is enhanced by the "Carrizo" notch in the base.