Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help picking a good reference book

Hey my name is Tucker and I've been hunting arrowheads for almost a year now, and as my collection has expanded to hundreds of artifacts I also wish to expand my knowledge of them and the people who made them. I currently own a copy of " a field guide to stone artifcts of Texas Indians" and " the Indians of Texas" by w w newcomb jr. I have found both book to be very enlightening on Texas Indians but I still want to learn more. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a book that offers a more expansive cataloug of Texas points, preferably that also describes what they were used for and by what tribe. Also I would appreciate a book suggestion about the Indians that inhabited Texas. Any help is appreciated greatly. Thanks

Re: Help picking a good reference book

Not much help from me, I dont have much of a library.
The latest Overstreet money book is due out this fall [ #11 ]. It's a fast start to further zeroing in on point ID. Plus it covers all of the continental USA so you can see representations of what the different cultures were creating for their own local needs.

Tucker, if you make either the show in Helotes or Fredricksburg, they usually have a pretty good selection of books. I've hit Barnes and Nobles before, and they have a long list of artifact related books, but that's a needle in a hay stack to find ones that are related to your interest. The employees there aren't knowledgable enough to help find the right book. Too many books on non-native and non point related subjects. Those by Hester are a pretty good bet. As are Dan Davis's. But Davis's books are hard to find.

Thanks for the help guys! and happy hunting