Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fayette Co. reruns

Not many new post so I thought I'd post 2 items I really like from my last trip. I have never founf somthing like this grooved stone and I really like the double nothced Darl?
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Re: Fayette Co. reruns

Cool finds, I've never found any worked stones in the brush country. One of the old time hunters had found a chunk of sandstone that had been used as a shaft straightener, but it was too far in the brush on a river bank and too big to carry. It's still there.

great artifacts. thanks for posting

Still looks as good as first round. I originally thought the extra notches might have been for
shaft scraping but now I'd say the original owner just wanted a more secure hafting
aid in addition to the stubby base.

I'll head out this morn and see if I can find some new addition to the Bolo, Waco sink, game ball
inventory.

Yo Flint, , , ,well that was easy enough ! I went creepin around the subburbs of an old
burned out camp site. I spyed an odd smallish hole near an old tree that had 3 big notches
cut in the side, sorta like a marker or a flag.

Just did a narrow test hole straight down where the leetle hole was, , And , , BINGO.

There it was, a GAME BALL . . . . .

Photobucket

Long as I had the test hole down to bed rock, I continued to expand it.

Who knows what kind of a game they were playing, there
was 23 worked pieces in addition to the game ball.

Now I gotta search for more trees with marks, there could be about 18 of um.

Photobucket

. . . . . . . . . . . . . FORE !

Photobucket

Those are some great finds, Hal. What kind of game do you think they played with that game ball. It has the look of something they beat around on with a stick. Probably some brutal game with lots of cursing and stick breaking. I found something similar like it before, but it was white and had hieroglyphics on the side, couldn't make them out though.

That's alot of finds for a test hole. Most of my test holes are dry. Maybe a broke or two. MAYBE!!! Good show. Wanna show me where it's at? Just kidding. I wanted to post the pecked stone again because it rocked my boat. I guess since it's not flint people don't get the same jolt as I do. I was hoping for some post for some same type finds. Is this that rare?? Or is it not that cool? Maybe it's just me...go figure.

Nice show Flintpig and Hal. Hal, I think its about time for some new gloves. Is that your skin I see showing through the leather? Trade you a new pair of gloves for the ball.

Flint, It's you ! It IS a unique find but probably has a limited interest level for many.
It will be a different story if you find a good section of a gorget or inscribed shell.
You will see me posting and making a bigger fuss over a non flint artifact if I ever find my dream find.
a METEORITE ! I like meteorites and since we find all sorts of curious stones deep in camp areas, we know they brought home everything unusual.
I saw an article a few years in a meteorite magazine that detaied a number of documented
true meteorite finds found insitu in camps.

Gil, Good eye on the fashion wardrobe, goes well with my Calvin Klein dig shirt !
I was destroying gloves at a bank account destroying rate. So. . . . .a few yrs ago I started coating my new gloves with that " DIP " product [ the stuff you dip the tool handles in to create a new factory style
handle ]just in the heavy wear areas.
After a time I get to patching up wear spots and they develope " fringes " from application over old dirt.
Its sort of the leprosy look !

The back story on the game ball, , , Last week at the end of a long tough day I did a very narrow test hole
between a big rock area. Found a GOWER base. Thats good.
So yesterday, at dawn I expanded the test hole while very fresh [ really tough slugging with roots ]
The finds kept comming at a good rate to keep the interest up.
One tiny disapointment [ so far ] if you look though the dirt on the points in the pic,
they are ALL sun bleached washdown whiteish.
Not a root beer in the crowd !

The game ball is yours, I'll hand it over at Digfest.

Te, I think your right about being a rough game, It's probably the same one the archeologist have
documented that the head of the losing teams' captain was stuffed through a stone ring.

SH I found a meteorite last year, and you'll never guess where, my hog pen! They rooted it up and I saw it, picked it up and looked at it, looked at it andit looked a little shiny. Like common iron ore but darker. It's round and is covered in little bumps. Also it's only about the size of a ping pong ball but is really heavy. Also small magnets will stick to it, keep looking hope u find one of your own

Tuck, I was just getting ready to do some hog pen digging when the alarm went off. . .

Little bumps, ping pong ball size !
Google - MARKASITE.
Very common in Tx limestone. If you find a similar one some day, carefully split it in half with a cold
chisel, its got a beautiful starburst pattern
inside.

I must say being magnetic is not common but its basically an iron sulfide so variation must happen.