Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Beveled Marcos and a Defunkified Montell

Did a little surface hunting at Big Wells today and first found this reworked and beat up looking Montell. Little later found this beveled Marcos. Thought it was broken on one side, but looked at it under the loop, and it has been worked all the way to the tip. One side has better beveling then the other, almost like one side had fractured off (impact fractured), then was rebeveled.

The flat area at the tip also has flakes knapped off of it, double checked with the 10X loop.

Re: A Beveled Marcos and a Defunkified Montell

Nice finds. Always good to look closely at broke stuff. One of my favorite arrowheads (an early triangle) looked like a broke tip and I threw it in my pocket without a glance. Luckily a friend asked too see it before I broke it leaning on a truck or something.

That's the problem with those early triangles. You find some many broken tips, you say nice, and toss them in the old broke bucket, never looking to see if they are really just tips. Done that myself.

good work tehuacana

Thanks, that poor old montell sure took a beating too. It's been reworked, looks like a peyote popping Indian got ahold of it. Who ever did the handiwork on the two points left them about 20' apart. I was busy watching a bull horny toad eat red ants when I saw the first one. Horny toads are finally making a come back since the fire ant population is on the decrease. Starting to see more of them.

Is that beveled marcos a subtype maybe? Cause I found one the other day in Kendall county. P.s. Nice vertical shot of the beveling

That was a good job the guy did on the Marcos, plenty of life left in it even as a chisel tip !
I'm more impressed with the size of the Montell. Immagining where the missing parts are, thats pretty small. Did the Montell family retain the exact perfect design from 4 inch spear points, through atlatl shafts size to bird points ?

But I'm REALLY impressed to hear the fire ants are on the decrease. Did they all keep migrating North ?

Look out Travis.

Don't know Hal. They've been on the decrease for about two years. Almost non-existent here. Before, I'd go through 5 - 6 10# bags of fire ant bait a year. This year I only found one small mound on my property. Same out on the fields and pastures. Don't know if the drought wiped them out, or some new invasive species of wasp. I'd heard they had a small wasp that killed them.

good finds. That poor Montell looks like it took one heck of a beating.

Yeah, I think they got the goodies out of it. Looks like they might have tried to work it down to a drill and gave up.

no telling T. Who knows what they were thinking.