Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
for AzAl, re POT CHARDS

Al, since seeing that crushed Anasazi clay pot you posted from an AZ dig site I was looking for a project.

Out by Camp Wood there is an abandoned river "resort".
Among the wreckage I found 56 pieces of a flower pot.
About 1970's art Disco I suspect.
Locate connecting parts, let glue dry. . .Locate more matching pcs etc, etc, took a couple of weeks.!

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's so ugly, it's beautiful !

Re: for AzAl, re POT CHARDS

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She is a little sweetheart. Well worth the time saving her.
In a couple days I predict you'll find one a few hundred years older.
Happy Hunting, AL.C

Just like new! You can't even tell it was broke!

Hal's getting good at these restorations. Man, he's going give Dr. Gomer a run for his money, if this keeps up. You can't even tell that flower pot was broke. Looks brand new.

oh to be retired!

You're going to put a flower in it aint you? The flower my fall over though when the soil falls out.

Bad part about it Hal, when it was new, the wife said "Oh how pretty", the husband said "Crap, something else I'm gonna have to water." Now I wonder who broke it? Still a fine piece of pre-columbian pottery don't you think?

I thinks Travis' observation hits the mark closest.
Any of the others could be a close second, As it was shaping up, I myself was thinking it was pretty gaudy even when it was brand new.
If nothing else it might give the professional counterfeiters a boost. Take a Walmart $3. replica Inca pot, give it a light smash and re-glue. . .
Voila, another $400. Ebay item !

Mssg for Dr Gomer, sleep easy .

Forgot:
Mssg for DJ, , , ,You keep creepin around that old ranch house and you'll be reaching for the glue
can soon ! Early settler spittoon [ or chamber pot ? ]

If you followed this pottery episode from the very top, you see that Arizona Al threatened to " send
some pottery shards " !
Well then this is the rest of the story. . . .

AzAl sent a selection from his surface hunting expeditions.
Lead off with a selection of various single shards, a very good immagination will fill in the entire
vessel. . .

Photobucket

Next, an overall look at most of the bits. The two larger blk & Whts All & I did the piecing together as best possible. The loose bits above the jig saw puzzles seem to be from the same pot but other missing
pieces would be needed to make the connection.

Photobucket

Close up of the largest B&W. The detail is terrific. Closest I can calculate, 9 inch O/D diameter when new. A huge area of decoration. . .

Photobucket

How's this for an early American table setting, , ,
A flint knife, Bone marrow fork and a bowl for the eats. . .

[ Geasy fingers wipe, only for formal dinners ! ]

Photobucket

Another angle of bowl sitting on a mano. . . .

Photobucket

Interior view showing mom all the veggies went down too, On to desert . . .

Photobucket

My many thanks to AzAl for his generosity for the " shards " from his collection. . .
IF it was mine, You would have had to pry that complete bowl out of my cold dead hand before I would
part with it.

Thanks Al

Good show, Hal. Is a new project in the offing? Pre-fab the missing pieces? Al must live in pottery paradise.

Te, re your querries:
1. Next project, get everything mounted on displays of some sort. I dont want these burried " in a safe place "

2. I really WANTED to fabricate repair bridges to make them look a bit professional Museumy
but of the pieces left, I cant visualise that they are even close to the main part, so no bridges !

3. I gather from Al that he has buckets of pottery like you have buckets of flint, Said something about his seven bedrm house being packed to capacity.

WOW!

I don't know what Hal did to get a bowl but put me on the list!

You made a old man happy Al ! Thanks !!! I can't wait to see it in person ! Heck of a guy you are!!

Good show Hal !

Michelle

Might as well tack on my entire pottery collection.

Oil lamp from Roman N Africa. Base & top original, handle & slight edge repair based on complete models in the local museums. Heavy Amphora handle, same part of the world.

Previously posted reglued pot from Iran / Iraq desert tepe.
Funny 3 fingered thing is a stand for holding up newly made pottery in the kiln. Found a part of a ghost town that had thousands of these scatterd around [ certainly a lot were broken ] The tips of this one have some drips of the glazed exterior of
whatever it was holding. . . .

Photobucket

Re Mlle's comments on the AZ shards, wonder what made her old man so happy over MY new aquisitions ?

Tehuacana
Good show, Hal. Is a new project in the offing? Pre-fab the missing pieces? Al must live in pottery paradise.

End of the project.. .

Merry Christmas 2 Badger. . .

Photobucket

And the remainder, my melly Xmas !

Photobucket

Little closer of the complete bowl, I couldn't find any brighter red and gold.

Photobucket

THANKYOU VERY MUCH AL. . .HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU