Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I got a stupid question

Do you grade arrow points on the same basis as dart points, and knives? Craftsmanship, size, broken or not, balance, etc. I know this is a stupid question but I've never heard of a g10 bird.

Re: I got a stupid question

It's not a silly question at all. Arrow points are graded in much the same way as dart points, and as the arrow points were among the last made, I think that there is a bit more emphasis placed on symetry during grading. Age of the point is not that big of a factor, but rarity vs. common or abundant may be, just as with dart points. ALL indian artifacts can be graded, it is the grading standards that may vary from one place to another, as well as authenticators. It would be difficult at best for such standards to be universal.

Thanks mike I've got a couple of real nice birds I thought might be high grade, will post pics as soon as I can

Tuck, sounds like you have not had a peek at the Overstreet identification and price guide book.
All points, including birds are assigned a G rating.

The G rating depends on many factors including if the appraisers cereal was crisp or soggy that morn,
likewise with the $$ value.

Size means every thing in the money game ! In your other current post, you mention a 2.5 inch
Edwards. . . . . The very largest in the current Overstreet is "only" 1.75 inches, , , wait for it, , ,
$ 850.00

Too late for you to submit your trophy for publication, The newest book is due out any minute now .

Tucker it sounds like you have an awesome place to hunt points.Finding that many points you very well could find a G-10 point.However that G-10 phrase gets thrown around way too much.
There are very and I mean very few points that are true G-10's.Points are graded on size and style for that point type,they are graded on rarity, symmetry,thinness and material.A high grade material will grade a lot better than others(Georgetown Flint vs. Quartzite would be a no brainer).
I have hunted points all of my life and I am not sure I even have a true G-10 point in my massive collection.I see on all of the forums almost everyday someone will post they found a G-10 but it turns out to be a 7 or 8 at best.
If you want to see what true G-10 points look like go to one of the bigger arrowhead shows and look for Bill Germans display.I know everyone that reads this is going to say I have several G-10's ,guess what you don't.

Sh this point may have been misidentified,as I am not nor claim to be any kind of expert, I've been meaning to pick up a copy of overstreet for some time now, but decided to wait on new edition. Anyways thanks for the help, and if you really want to have a look at the point I'llemail you a picture. Thanks again for the help

Yeah, we all want to see goodies from your goldmine. If you cant hack that Photobucket, next option is to Email to Mlle. If she's in a good mood, it might show up online.
I dont know how to make the transfer.!

Sh. I might try that, I have made these recent posts off of my phone, the rain as good as it's been has taken a toll on our phone cable so no Internet for me, which means no pics poted but I can still email them around.

Sh upon re-measuring the point I found it to be exactly 1 and 3/4 inches not the original 2.5 inches touted by my father the finder of the point. I never measured it myself and my memory was a little hazy, so I asked him and he gave my the highly inflated figure. I guess it's like the 15 pound catfish that grows to be 30 plus by the time the trip is over.

here is a edwards I found that is exactly 2" and a coulpe over to the left is a scallorn that is 2.25"

Photobucket

Tuck, no harm in downsizing, as you say, it's standard fishermans terminology [ except of course in the case of " catfish Flo !" ]
Matter of fact, given the width, the shorter length makes a better proportion. The fishermans' dimention would have been just a long flint nail !

I have seen the pics sent to Mlle. . .OUTSTANDING !
You really have got a major camp on your hands.
With that much delicate treasure in the ground, I assume your digging with tea spoons.

Surely Badger is delaying posting the pics just to let the suspense mount up.

I'd imagine that at least one of those giant birdpoints could be rated a 10. If it's altogether, no dings, good symetrimity & over 2", I think it's an automatic 10 at that point (no pun).

The edwards is as perfect as they come with serations.. I could only wish the base was extended like most edwards.

talk about soggy ceral in the morning...post your pics please, we have posted in the past and have had soggy, wet replies.....but best of luck to you with your finds. Tucker, we have one that is very unusal and have still never found anything like it...would be glad to show you a photo of it...will have to post link to it later,,,so again best wishes

Hey sandy I'm pretty much a newcomer to the board and just learned how to post, if you want to see some pics check the front page those are Just some of the good bird points from the mound we've been digging.

hey Tucker, below is an addy to where you can look at a few of the ones we have, as I have posted a few of these here in teh past I will not bother to repost, feel free to go and look,we were told the clear one was a G10...then told other things....so thought this might be of interest to you ........look at the clear one it is the one I want you to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyjay/sets/72157607976181491/

Hadn't heard anything from you in a while, Sandy. Did you ever find anything new on that clear point? I posted some pics here a while back that a friend in Ca. had taken in the museum in Klamath Falls, Oregon. So clear points are out there. I have a couple of clear points, but they are of a local stone we find around petrified wood. The points are small, bird point variety. Not as impressive as yours, but proof that clear rocks were used to point making.

hi Teh.......no never found out exactly what it was...so after awhile hubby just wrapped and buried it lol..so we did have one to say at one time that it is a ritual blade and possibly made of rose quartz...as we have had it said it could be of agate.....so with the frustration hubby just put it away....he is starting to learn how to make bows and and wants to mount it on an arrow and use it as a wall fixture......will see, lol. A Souix(sp) Indian told us about a cleansing ritual to do every day becasue we have it on our property. he has sid it has a lot of history behind it..so onward and upward with the search..thanks for asking.

I was looking at some different sites and found this clear drill the other day. It is made of topaz. Thought maybe I would add another option for the material.

Holy cow sandy that's one of the finest points I've ever seen, looks like Texas topaz to me, but I'm not real sharp on all of this stuff especially materials. This really gets me excited because lately we've been finding some really clear material flakes in the midden were digging. quartz, topaz, agate whatever it is it's neat. Your find is the find of a lifetime, and I can see how some people would be skeptical, they're probably jealous. Anyways happy hunting and thanks!

Hey, Kevin by chance did it say how big or the weight of the topaz drill was? or where it was found?

Hey Sandy, here is the address for the website.
http://arrowheadology.com/texas-topaz-true-gemstone-points/

Heres my almost G-10 Edwards contribution, I'd call it a HEARTBREAKER Photobucket

Wow , Nano technology a thousand yrs ago. It would be more fitting to use one of your gold coins as a reference scale.
Do you have a recent money book ? a similar delicate based example . . . . . $ 85*.
Course the example one has a tip, yours cant be worth much more than $ 8**.

Wow also, what a secure security program ! It bleeped the zeros [ * ]

Are you Kidding me? It's early trying to make my brain work,sorry.

hey kevin, thanks for the link...hubby has one rock he calls the transformer, becuase it changes color. anyway it has orange, green yellow and even silver in it... but this is not a rock site so will not post it here will post it on the other site, have two abstract photos that will be posted also not plugging for my site btw...just have trouble wth photobucket, if you go look; look for photo *68 i dont think its a good photo but it shows a bit of the colors