Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
"MINI PALEO" [ front page ] PAUL K

Thats a beautiful collection, especially with the varied materials.
When I first saw them I thought " what a great economical way to have a unique artifact collection "
It's a great balance to the rest of the world scratching for LARGE ONLY !

I rushed to the money book to see how cheaply I might start a collection of my own. . .

WHAT A SHOCK. . .

There is a great looking 1 [one] inch Folsom for $ 700.
Right next to it is the equaly great looking 1 1/8 [ one and one eigth ] Folsom . . $ 3,000.

Just below that is a 1 3/16th [ one and three sixteenths ] inch Folsom . . . .$ 5,000. { FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS }

RATS, looks like I'm stuck in the mini Perd division !

Other front pager, Matt, Good show. If you like square ears, thats a winner !

Re: "MINI PALEO" [ front page ] PAUL K

Hello Hal, Believe it or not, that is how I started collecting the small paleo. I was fortunate to get some great deals when, like you say, everyone else wanted large points. Certainly could not have paid the prices you named for these points. Thank you for noticing the nice and varied materials. I am a materials nut. I would like to collect the large points, but can't afford them either. Should have been born rich instead of so dern good lookin'. Paul

Paul, your lookin at a " materials nut " Wannabe also !
I plan to go to the extreme end, not authentics but modern repos. Wish I had started the collection a
couple yrs ago. Not every knapper offers exotic materials so I should have started buying when seen.
The must haves that stuck in my memory was something or other from Madagascar. Nevada quartz with a few flakes of gold included. And as an ex fossisiler,
Florida FOSSILISED CORAL !

Watch this space for aquisitions !

Hal, I will be watching. Good luck with your search. Many thanks. Paul

The Ultimate Arrowhead Material....Patrick Dearen is a writer who grew up in Sterling City. He has written several books about the Pecos Country in W. Texas. A lot of folks have been looking for treasure around Castle Gap. One lucky guy found an arrowhead made of GOLD! Seems someone lost a $20 gold coin, and the Comanche or whoever it was who found it hammered into something more useful, an arrowhead. Now that would be a conversation piece for the middle of your keeper frame. Paul

A golden arrow must have had the upper hand on somebody shooting silver bullets !
Ideally, I was hopeing to buy one unique material repo at each flint show I attend but
it seems it's not that easy. Again my favorite dealer was not at the San Antonio show. Maybe at the Fredricksburg show on Oct 31.!
Wonder if the earliest pottery making people ever created a missle point from baked clay ?
Besides wild design possibilities, a magical symbol for success with particular game could be scribed in the clay. Sort of the disposable, one use, tool of the ancient world. !

Looks like a point out of gold would be a little too heavy, but I've seen them made out of old files and coins in museums before. Plus several out of old glass bottles. Guess what ever was handy at the time.