Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what is this?

i know two are clovises, but the bottom one is a mystery, its made of an exotic material that i am unfamiliar with as well. it has some great paralell flaking and came from the same site as the other two points, so im pretty sure its also paleo. it has a square base but unfortunately the tip is broken off about halfway. the points are not mine personally my boss saw i had a pretty good collection of my own so he showed me some of his.
Photobucket
if you know the makeup of the point or if its a type it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: what is this?

Tucker,

The bottom point looks to be made from Alibates. I can't see enough detail in the picture to make a type guess.

jh

Scottsbluff was my first thought as well but it is it has a crooked stem, possible damage repair. In crosssection it's an oval shape that appears just a little thickto look scottsbluff, but maybe its normal given the size. there is always the chance that it is a unique piece, or a broken piece that had extensive work on it. It's a plain shame that it's missing the tip. Sorry but I don't think I'm in a position to get any more photos. But if I do you bet I'll post em right away.

P.s. I should have specified the end by my thumb is the broken one.

You can have the 2 at the top and I will take the one on the bottom ok? heh

That material is something else LOVE IT!

Thanks for sharing those artifacts !!!!!

Wish I could find something made of the alibates? Or whatever ..Is that the mineral that glows in the dark??? I thought that I heard something like that.. Glows under black light.. You should give it a try!

Michell

Thumb end broke makes all the difference to ones outlook ! No guess from me but that " oval look "
just looks Paleo.

My guess on material tends to Alibate also mainly cause the Alibates nickname is "BACON STRIP"

IDing from pics is always nebulous but when they are from someone elses collection it can be impossible.
Did the party REALLY dig them up himself ? If not
where did they come from ? Might they be from different parts of north America ?

Now for an off the target observation. . .brought about by the pretty thumb point. . . . .
I went to the front color pages of the Overstreets book to see what their Alabates look
like. I spotted a colorfull item of Mahogany obsidian from Nevada . To my absolute surprise it is described as a PRE CLOVIS point. ! Right up to now I understood the great quest in north America was to find ANY worked flint OLDER than Clovis.
Well they should look on page 38 of the tenth addition ! AND it's not more crude, if anything its more delicate and as finely made as the best of Paleo.
See HASKETT in the NC section of the book.

So as of this morning we need to look for what is pre Haskett !

My " find " is also a great oppurtunity for those that like to condem The Overstreet pricing standards , ,
Some time back I reported finding a CLOVIS priced at $ 50,000. because it was the largest and best example of the type.
Now we have the OLDEST point in N AM and describled as VERY rare. Just as large as the big Clovis. . .

a Mear $ 10,000.

He surface collected these off of an old ranch, presumeably from a campsite, in blanco county. He is very honest and while point 2 looks a little funny they are all genuine. That is not a patina on one side, but a white band in the flint. None are nor ever will be for sale regardless of the cir***stances, so he doesn't have a reason to lie about the finds.

Douglas, I concur.