Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Awesome finds from friday and today

friday was one of the best trips ive ever had lots of neat stuff...
Photobucket
close up of the good ones
Photobucket
my very first gorget piece, too bad its broken, it would have had 7 holes total
Photobucket
a bone awl witha notch, or broken out, hole at the top
Photobucket
a neat piece of bone with a hole drilled in it any ideas why, this is the second piece that i have found drilled for no apparent reason.
Photobucket
a very wierd point it has four distinct gravers on the handle, seems to be a reworked castroville, any ideas?
Photobucket
amd finally todays finds
Photobucket

Re: Awesome finds from friday and today

Nice finds, very interesting gorget.

jh

That's a great day for sure & the material of the 4-sided knife look's awesome. What county are these from?

A boy scout whistle and official boyscout utility knife ? Is the hole in the bone really man drilled ? [ smooth ] interior?

With the risk of being hammered by more knowledgable posters. . . Your SEVEN hole gorget might be only a FOUR holer !
A big majority have the 4 hole configuration.
To see what it may have looked like when factory new, Trace a good outline on a sheet of paper including the hole locations. Flip the gorget the other way, lining up the 2 north south holes. There it is.
BUT in your case theres an odd feature. People that made these really had a good artistic idea of scale and proportion. The 1/2 drilled hole is not equidistant from its counterpart on the other side.

Hmmmmm?

Has it occured to you yet that the financial drain for all the new cases for your finds could be
staggering. [ stimulous money candidate ? ]

1. Yes the hole in the bone is smooth inside, and does look like it's man made.
2. My gorget might have any number of holes and I don't care I'm glad to have found it, one thing I forgot to mention is on very close inspection you can see a row of 3 very faint paralell lines that run from one side to another is this common?. I assumed seven holes because like you said these people had a good sense of scale and proportion, what always aggrivates me is when people think they were somehow stupider or lesser than us. They were modern man capapble of anything we are.
3. Yeah they are worth a lot of money but I wouldn't sell a one. They're worth more to me, it's really neat to pick up a stone tool that hasn't been touched or used for six thousand years.

Hey silver i'm digging in Kendall county, and the knife is made of the same flint as the 3 intact points from yesterday. It's tan with red splotches throughout, really cool. I just have no idea what it's for.

Looks like Chris's dig in Blanco.Cool finds

Raining like crazy in CenTx, might as well type !
I dont know that much about gorgets to say how significant the scribed lines might be. [ would have been nice if he just did an eagle or buffalo.]
Tuck, were you around last March when I posted a busted piece I found ? I'll bring it back if you didn't, dont want to bore the rest of the gang if you did. Advise.

Thats a unique knife. I wonder if the seemingly purposefull points are just a fluke of how the flint flaked ? Notice the 3 best visible in the pic are at the ends of color changed flint, sorta like layered erosion of different hardness of rocks.

Hole in the odd ball bone still a ? to me.

Sh it's raining here too, so after looking at the knife again they look like intentional points, or gravers. Also it just occured to me that since it was a rechip they may be thinning platforms, like the "nipple" seen at the base of most Folsom points, from where they fluted them. As for the bone it is #2 that I have found drilled the first was veryflat though so I assumed pendant. They may be some kind of rattle, other than that I have no idea. I agree that an eagle or bison would have been nicer, but it's neat anyways. Ill look up that find and see what it is. Thanks again