Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
stone bowl

my dad found this bowl in our mound a very long time ago, when he was about 18. strange thing is, its not clay its a hard white stone, like limestond. the whole thing looks like a naturally formed stone with a lip cut into the front.
ive never seen another tell me what you think.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: stone bowl

Tuck, as you have described the bowl, its a family heirloom. Nobody wants to offer an opinion
based on a picture and hurt somebody's treasure, , , But. . . . I cant see a single mark that indicates anykind of workmanship.
The side cut sorta looks possibly cut but on close inspection only you can tell that.
The most condeming " no Bowl" evidence looks like that middle, into the center pic. Completely natural texuring.

No need to tell Dad anything right now, Take it to the Fredricksburg show on Oct 31 for a professional
opinion.

Well I've alwaysbthought of it as geofact turned artifact, the symmetry in the front dip seems to indicate to me at least, that the spout was worked into it. If you look very closely you can also see that the dip or spout has a "bevel" on it. This can be seen on very close inspection of the shadow, and coupled with the fact that it was found buried above a midden just seems to point artifact to me. But the piece does not show any other area that exhibits workmanship so it may, as you said, be just a neat rock. I'm open to any idea and first chance I get for an expert to look at it I will, that is great advice. If you like I can take an up close shot of the " bevel" for closet inspection. Thanks for the input.

ACH ! , " dug from a camp " makes all the difference ! A LOT of out of context material is
found in digging middens. "They" brought anything of interest home probably as a curiosity or to see if it could be used for something.
Before discarding them, we just call them " indian rocks"

" As usual ", your dominating the front page ! Nice bird points, VERY NICE. Ref the pic Emailed to Mlle, that special white point I would not know if it's not in the money book, which it is NOT. . . . .

BUT, , , That EXACT point can be found in the Overstreets book under the South West zone [ SW ]
Called a BONITO NOTCHED listed as common to AZ, NM,

Probably should have mentioned that it was dug from the camp in the first place we find lots of neat fossils and rocks in the same layers as points, proof that they were also collectors. And I don't know about you but I don't discard the fossils I find in middens, they've got a special box of their own. Dad has always thought the "bowl "was a ceremonial piece, as it had nowear. I would like to let you have a look at it, but I don't know if I can make any shows and wouldn't feel safe bringing it to digfest. As for the point maybe it's been traded that far or maybe,or it may be a one in a million fluke edwards, whatever it is it's great. And I know that provided the above info, some won't believe it came from central tx. I can hardly believe we found it myself, that's really interesting info that makes you think about the ancient trade routes that once sprawled across this land.

As Te pointed out with the Pipe Creeks, More than one example would show its not a Lone Ranger. We believe
where you found it alright and pics to book ID's are not the final word.
A Rocket scientists' equipment could surely isolate what part of the world the flint came from.

That's a stone age turtle shell ,before they went with the multi composite hexagon look