Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
id help

dad found this big blade in the top three inches, im thinking that it was probably a bigger blade that went through heavy resharpening or bilateral repair. if you know what it is, or was i really appreciate any help.
Photobucket

Re: id help

Guess # 1. . . carefully resharpened Kinney.

Top three inches ?? Do You guys take your shoes off to go tippy toeing over to the dig area ?

I've heard many times blades called a projectile point name, followed by blade. For example Ensor blade, butthey look nothing like the point after which I assume they are named. Is there a blade reference book ou therethat I could pick up ? Just wondering and btw it may be a darl blade but I don't know what that is so I can't be sure. Thanks

I like what I'm hearing Doug, thanks a lot!! That question has been bugging me for some time now

Tucker

As Douglas said, similar looking artifacts found in the Coryell, Bell, Williamson County area are commonly called “Darl Blade” by collectors. In my own personal digging experience in Kendall Co, I have never seen Darl occupation. It might occur sporadically in the Northeast edges of the county, but seems to disappear very quickly southwest of Travis Co.

There is an unnamed, thin, concave based, long and narrow, triangular biface that is similar in shape to “Darl Blade”, found in association with (at least, maybe others) Scallorn arrow points. Based on one of the picture of your finds, my guess is your artifact is a much resharpened example of this Biface.

Do you find any Transitional Archaic types (Ensor, Frio, Fairland, Darl) at your site?

Thanks for the pictures.

jh

Ensor points are found occasionally here but there are a lot of frio, and maybe only five darls ever. We also find many scallorns in the layer the blade came from so this may in fact be the unnamed blade you speak of. What exactly is your source on this blade? I'd like to make a comparison from the pictures

I'd go with Darl blade or Kinney ,although darlshould be in a more recent occupation level, Kinney could be found in the same level and deeper. Nice blade Tucker!

Hey Hal, I got one for you, You asked do you guys go tippy toeing around the dig site. My friend has a camp site on his place that has never been dug.He has found points on top of the ground over the years one very nice blade. He is not a digger I am so i started digging. Dig soil 4-6 feet deep (sand) then you hit clay. First dig day found several brokes 3 to 4 inches down and 1 whole paleo drill. Next dig took it all the way down to clay found 6 points. I still cant see how you guys in the hill country do it all that **** rock ****es me off.

Tucker,

Sorry, since it is un-typed to my knowledge, I don’t know of any literature to reference.

jh

j, . . . . . Dont knock the rock. Just wait til the tide comes back in at your site !

LOL