Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hal????

I have a question for the master digger Hal.I just started digging a new undug camp.I started by testing out the midden first with no luck,not much flint at all? So i plugged some holes outside the midden,with no luck again.Still not seeing hardly any flint and no bone at all.Im past the color change,the snail looks good.So whats the problem?

Re: Hal????

Wow Drew, IDing points from a pic is easy compared to spotting a good dig spot on an "undug" midden.
There are many possibilities that occur to me, including a few you dont want to hear ! So here's a brief try. . .
Are you sure its really "undug" we know of at least 2 local sites with big oak trees growing out of
a huge pile of throw dirt [ mound ] somebody got the goods 75 yrs ago. It hurts to admit it but after continually digging deep, under fire rock, somebody else also thought it looked good !

Mother nature can do MASSIVE reorganising of a camp site, say with a once every thousand year flood !
Entire mounds have been swept away and redeposited in
chaos. Try test holing any still evident drainage
lows in the immediate area.
Is there a hill / bluff nearby.?
The final bottom line is still test holes with a lot of analytical common sense.

I'll leave you with one positive suggestion; ; ; ;
"test holes" usually tend to get smaller the deeper you go. In some cases the deepest area of interest might only be 6 inches square.
Try TRENCHING. . just needs to be wide enough to get through, like 15 inches [ 18 inches for the obese! ]

Somebody else might have some input if you supply a bit more description of the surroundings.

Ive dug many test holes,and they all look really good.Lots of snail.I just cant figure out why im not finding much flint.Even if the camp has been dug out completly,i would think i would be finding lots of flint shards? Maybe i just need to be alittle more PATIENT.

Drew, the wording of your last transmission sorta indicates maybe there was a bit of digging
on your site ! Thats a whole nuther set of instructions !

Advise