Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bolo weight

Hey i just have a question about the bolo weight/stone on the front page. IM not questioning dwain rogers knowlege but. I have always thought that they were know as waco sinkers due to the large numbers found in the waco,tx area. My digging partner has found several on his place in the last 3 or 4 years, maybe 10 or more some perfect some crude or broken. Some of them are small and im sure are used for sinkers others are large and look more like the one on the fron page. I guess the origanal question is, are the called waco sinkers or is that a local name given to them and when do the go from sinkers to bollo stones?

Re: bolo weight

Was wondering the same thing.

This makes the second one I have found. The other one several years ago. They are larger than a Waco and made completely different. The Groove is only deep enough for the leather or what ever they used, as not to come off. For what it is worth, most of what I have found on this Gravel Bar has been Paleo but with big time river washing ware. I think one reason there are not more found is they get shoveled behind in throw dirt. I have dug in Burnet County for 19 years and never found a Waco Sinker.
Bill

I see the difference now. Most of the waco sinkers i was talking about came off a paleo camp also.

It has been a past understanding that waco sinkers, and bollo stones are entirely 2 different creatures as far as their usage, so I would question that one crosses to the other, which is likely doubtful despite both type artifacts being found amidst paleo remains.

Mike Warton
It has been a past understanding that waco sinkers, and bollo stones are entirely 2 different creatures as far as their usage, so I would question that one crosses to the other, which is likely doubtful despite both type artifacts being found amidst paleo remains.

Agreed, totally different species, but is there any reference to true Bolos being used in North America ?

The much publicised Argentine Pampas bolos had weights that were about the size of baseballs.
Also, prehorse back riding, a bolo is not exactly a sneaking up on the game weapon.
I got no alternative ideas.

No reference of use in North America Hal, the few I do have came from the Austrailian outback. Yes, they were used in South America, and also of course Africa. There are a few that appear similar in shape from Illinoise, however, they are banner stones.