THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.
Nice show, you didn't make them yourself did you? And what is that ruby red montell made of , it looks really nice
Hey Tucker, I'd venture to say Flo-town made them himself, he is an excellent knapper. Nice work ! I could pick your brain for hours Flo-town. P.S. also looks like some of that great Georgetown flint ,of which I have none of here.
A friend of mine gave me a 15 pound chunk of that red stuff it was all fractured up and I only got a few points from it I think its vlocanic glass
Wow I wish I could knap like that, been trying for a while with big flakes and performs I dig up, but I'm no good. Practice makes perfect I guess so I'll keep tryin, maybe one of these days I'll make a show and learn a little from the pros. Nice job
Great points flotown. Thanks for sharing
Yes, Excellent. I hope you continue to find unique materials.
Is the Red obsidion for sale ? [ not the flakes you chipped off, , , the finished point ! ]
Sorry you got some soggie weather too!
I will give you my SS#, ya know, to "WILL" that RED MONTELL to me .. hheheh
You have some skills there my friend!!!
PS: You got a *** in there too! What is the deal with the swear filter I haev no idear! Sorry bout' that!
Do you guys cook your rock first ,or just use raw?
We have tried too cook flint a few times. It only came out good once if I remember right. Made some real pretty colors when it worked for sure. Usually just raw flint from around the woods.
Out in the woods? Where are you from I've looked everywhere and never found any suitable stuff to work, all I get is this diamond hard blueish speckled stuff that is full of rock bits and flaws and is uneven. Where do you find good flint, and how? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong stuff...
Also I'm from the hill country if it helps
Thanks G-town ,maybe I just need more practice Hey Tucker ,I'm just up the road from you Kerr/Gillespie Co. Just find it everywhere , its either ther or it isn't. I find it on my property, town creek, pedernales r., country job sites. you just have to hit it to see if it's good.I probably mostly have Edwards Plateau , Pedernales,and maybe some rootbeer....I'm kinda dumb in that department.
Thanks sh till now I've been using blanks and big flakes from the site were digging. I'll try to get up some pics of the few points I've completed pretty soon
We always keep blanks or big flakes when sifting or digging. If you are at one of the big sifting places try asking the other guys around to throw there flint in a 5 gallon bucket. Usually you will leave with a pretty good haul. I have been searching gravel bars in creeks and have found a few good pieces there as well.
I get 90% of my flint from a rock quarry 25 to 35ft deep in solid limestone the other 10% in the woods
I wasn't going to mention it if you didn't Flo, that Gault site is just a few yards from your front door.
The big newspaper article on another post pointed out one of the desireable living conditions
at the Gault site was mining YOUR flint quarry.
I wouldn't have known that til I learned to turn blue then copy N paste.
Not to bad Tucker. Say SH I never told you about the big mounds of flint? The indains were working flint layers in creek walls and putting it all in piles. thers preforms choppers flake blades all kinds of tools everywhere. Its a surface hunters dream
Dont feel too bad about those, I have been trying for years and I cant do much better.