Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
reproductions

Photobucket Hay its something to look at havent dug much lately

Re: reproductions

Nice show, you didn't make them yourself did you? And what is that ruby red montell made of , it looks really nice

Hey Tucker, I'd venture to say Flo-town made them himself, he is an excellent knapper. Nice work ! I could pick your brain for hours Flo-town. P.S. also looks like some of that great Georgetown flint ,of which I have none of here.

A friend of mine gave me a 15 pound chunk of that red stuff it was all fractured up and I only got a few points from it I think its vlocanic glass

Wow I wish I could knap like that, been trying for a while with big flakes and performs I dig up, but I'm no good. Practice makes perfect I guess so I'll keep tryin, maybe one of these days I'll make a show and learn a little from the pros. Nice job

Great points flotown. Thanks for sharing

Yes, Excellent. I hope you continue to find unique materials.

Is the Red obsidion for sale ? [ not the flakes you chipped off, , , the finished point ! ]

Tucker
Wow I wish I could knap like that, been trying for a while with big flakes and performs I dig up, but I'm no good. Practice makes perfect I guess so I'll keep tryin, maybe one of these days I'll make a show and learn a little from the pros. Nice job

Practice does make perfect, I have been trying for years and Cant get past a good preform. We have destro*** thousands of pounds of flint just learnin. Heard digfest was wet and fun. Couldn't make it out though I wanted to be there. The rain mas non-stop here in central texas, I heard moody was pretty squishy too.

Sorry you got some soggie weather too!

I will give you my SS#, ya know, to "WILL" that RED MONTELL to me .. hheheh

You have some skills there my friend!!!

PS: You got a *** in there too! What is the deal with the swear filter I haev no idear! Sorry bout' that!

Michelle

Photobucket
Here is a necklace flo-town made. So far I think its my favorite arrowhead hes made.

Do you guys cook your rock first ,or just use raw?

We have tried too cook flint a few times. It only came out good once if I remember right. Made some real pretty colors when it worked for sure. Usually just raw flint from around the woods.

Out in the woods? Where are you from I've looked everywhere and never found any suitable stuff to work, all I get is this diamond hard blueish speckled stuff that is full of rock bits and flaws and is uneven. Where do you find good flint, and how? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong stuff...
Also I'm from the hill country if it helps

Thanks G-town ,maybe I just need more practice Hey Tucker ,I'm just up the road from you Kerr/Gillespie Co. Just find it everywhere , its either ther or it isn't. I find it on my property, town creek, pedernales r., country job sites. you just have to hit it to see if it's good.I probably mostly have Edwards Plateau , Pedernales,and maybe some rootbeer....I'm kinda dumb in that department.

Tucker
Out in the woods? Where are you from I've looked everywhere and never found any suitable stuff to work, all I get is this diamond hard blueish speckled stuff that is full of rock bits and flaws and is uneven. Where do you find good flint, and how? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong stuff...
Also I'm from the hill country if it helps

Finding knappable material always seems to come up in these talks. . . .Finding material " in the woods "
is the most authentic way to start a modern repo point.
BUT, if thats difficult, why not do like the ancients did as a backup source. . .
Visit a decorative rock or garden rock supply or building rock supply yard. They may not have huge blocks of true flint but some other suitable [ and beautiful ] material. Most yards have LARGE pieces of
pertrified wood.
These places are used to selling by the ton or truckload, They might just give you a few big chunks.
Years ago I got some really awesome rocks for big aquarium decorating, , , free.
Once it's practice no more, hit the Rock shops for some really wild possibilities !

Thanks sh till now I've been using blanks and big flakes from the site were digging. I'll try to get up some pics of the few points I've completed pretty soon

We always keep blanks or big flakes when sifting or digging. If you are at one of the big sifting places try asking the other guys around to throw there flint in a 5 gallon bucket. Usually you will leave with a pretty good haul. I have been searching gravel bars in creeks and have found a few good pieces there as well.

I get 90% of my flint from a rock quarry 25 to 35ft deep in solid limestone the other 10% in the woods

I wasn't going to mention it if you didn't Flo, that Gault site is just a few yards from your front door.
The big newspaper article on another post pointed out one of the desireable living conditions
at the Gault site was mining YOUR flint quarry.

I wouldn't have known that til I learned to turn blue then copy N paste.

here are my pitiful attempts at knapping, i knew i was bad but until i saw those points at the top i didnt know how bad lol
Photobucket

Not to bad Tucker. Say SH I never told you about the big mounds of flint? The indains were working flint layers in creek walls and putting it all in piles. thers preforms choppers flake blades all kinds of tools everywhere. Its a surface hunters dream

Dont feel too bad about those, I have been trying for years and I cant do much better.

Flo-town digger
Not to bad Tucker. Say SH I never told you about the big mounds of flint? The indains were working flint layers in creek walls and putting it all in piles. thers preforms choppers flake blades all kinds of tools everywhere. Its a surface hunters dream

Flo, I dont remember your elaborating on how extensive your flint source was [ til now ]
Years ago someone told me about 2 "Indian camps " at lake George Town, right next to the Park land [ all on Corps of Eng property ] I checked them out. . .
AMAZING ! Both about a 75 foot diameter circle, just SOLID with BIG flint flakes.
I assumed it was an area convienient to knock off the cortex to check the interior viability plus reducing the weight of the nodules for the trip home.

When it was active I pictured the guys sitting around " peeling " flint nodules just as our modern
GIs do potato KP !

Tuck, Good start. . . now get back to digging.