Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pete's Point "Digfest"

Just wondering what kind of I.D the po****r vote gave to Pete's point from Digfest? Very interesting,very nice, watago Pete!

Re: Pete's Point "Digfest"

Hay there

It was Pete's first day ever digging.. He didn't even know to bring gloves ! AND he went back in after it started to rain !
HE DESERVED IT!!! heh With the loaner gloves on and all!

I doubt anyone has looked at it yet, Don't know if he would take it that far since he never dug before either! Maybe someone will talk him into sendin if off or atleast giving me the NAME of it so I know what the heck it is..

I have seen other "Walking" base points like that but they were shorter.

Pretty cool lookin !

PS to WillTA !!

Sorry about the **** I see in your question! hehe

Whatever it is must have been a word that formed from the dirty word list! SOmetimes that happens!

OOps!

that is a dear ringer for a cahokia, page 837 in the 8th edition of overstreet,maybe traded from illinois.

I was JUST looking inm y book in the bird point area.. Looking at all the bases. I was thinking like a "Harrell" .. but I am just guessing !!

All I know is , if it were commin at me.. I would run!

Michelle!!

This was just send to me.. This was found at a dig here in Texas.

They want to name it ... Looks pretty close to the

same base atleast maybe???

Bottom looks like walking man frio but as for the top point, I'd like to throw out that not all points have a type, some are just as individual as you or I. I've got a couple of points myself that don't appear in any book as far as I know. How deep was I found? That could help narrow it down

I'am thinking the same thought as Michelle I think it is a Harrell, what ever it is it was an excellent find! Great job Pete, I had the privalage to see the point after it was found and cleaned up!

I agree thats what we found when we looked it up was a harrell, really nice point, its looks even nicer in person.

My vote is on the gem point cahokia butit's not a Texas point. However, it is possible that a traveling artifact salesman riding a buffalo from Illinois to Texas made a brief stop at the site some centuries ago. Harral just doesn't fit although it could be a ceremonial birdie of the highest order. Awesome find Pete! Digfest was great and a good time had by all.

Wow Did he find that point next to the double ended montell gorget LOL. I have been digging central Texas for 50 years Chrisners for 10 years and I have never seen a point of that type found. The point is not a central Texas point. Digfest Was fun great food good pepole and a great mud filled day. Keith

That point is not an old piece! Had to be brought in or planted! Rogers will turn it down!

ONLY post when you want to cut into someone.. Are you done?? I would say so

HA HA HA HA < knockoff , my happy rearend was right there watching him when that one came out of the hole . and no it was not planted , that man dug his butt off all morning and finally hit pay dirt ! that was an excellent find ! but you have to love it when the jealous people cant stand it if they dont find a good one , but ill say this , ill dang sure give my vovlo truck to anyone who can prove that one is not real cause i saw it come out of the hole lmao

ive been digging since 88 richards since big hole aka the beging not a texas point let dwain look at it

it is what is if dwain papers it ill say congrats

Why can't you just be happy for someone finding a better point than you did??? Always in a hurry to bash someone.How about just growing up a little??

I'll admit that if I wasn't there to see that point come out I would be skeptical to but Pete pulled that one out of the dirt and the folks that were there to see it just about crapped their pants.
I was just glad that I got to see that one in person.
Hey Jerry were you the big guy in the cammo that was digging next to him that found the black bird point?

Sorry,didn't mean to start a fire, I'll go with Harrel. Nice point Pete , harrel or Cahokia it's a big one .

no Eric I wasn't!

Well if you think the christners planted it, why would they plant a point like that? Wouldn't they plant something common, (like an Ensor since it was the Ensor camp) that was just good or mediocre that wouldn't likely get coa'd? I mean it's an amazing point with great flaking, that seemingly can't be typed, it's gonna go to Dwain. And if Pete planted it he wouldn't take it to Dwain. So if someone did plant it they're incredibly dense, and I personally don't think anyone did. Just seems like common sense to me. Interested to see the outcome, and a couple of finger pointers, pointing their feet right into their mouth.
P.s now that theirs a Volvo thrown into the mix things might get really wild!! Lol

That makes me madder then hell to imply the chrisners would ever plant points on thier property. I know them well they would never do that. I am always happy when some one finds something nice. All I am saying is that this is not a central Texas point and it does not look right.

I didn't say Christner planted it. It coulda been anyone. Someone playing a sick joke on a guy that had never dug before. I'll eat my words if Rogers papers it and I'll also be the first to say I told you so if he doesn't. And by the way, I am certainly not jealous of anyone having found a nice point! I have found plenty of G-10's, so I have no need for jealousy!

Look's like it could be a Merrill to me & I'd like to buy it if it is.

it's kinda hard to say someone was planting points. I mean, if you were there(which I was) when the point was found, there weren't that many people there. And when you see something fall from the wall of dirt in front of you, what other argument is there? Judging from his excitement, I'd say it was a true find. To Pete, don't worry about the haters, you've got an awesome find. And no one knows better than you, that you plucked it from the ground yourself. I heard someone there say that they had never seen another point like it come out of that camp. So relish the find and I hope many more are to come.

Chris J

congrats pete,it's a fantastic point

nice find Pete!!!!!

If all the naysayers didn't already run you off Pete, i'd like to congratulate you on such a nice find. Don't let the negative attacks get to you down. I watched the same folks attack a woman unmercifully on another site earlier this year, saying her find was a fake too. She shut them up for a minute or two, by taking the point to Dwain himself for authentification, even then most of them never apologized to the lady, about all their negative attacks. Hope you get it certified and post the pics of the certification soon!

Well now, first of all, Kudos to Pete, that is a beautiful point. Thus far all of the posts both positive and negative have been civil. Brad, Keith, Knockoff, Roy and Bob have questioned the authenticity of the of the point and so far as I know they have a right to do so in a civil manner in an open forum. Goodness knows the point is unusual as to size, condition, material, geography and type. The only uncivil comment has come from the editor of an artifact magazine and I find that to be highly unusual. Is it good for circulation to tell subscribers or potential subscribers to "Get a life" and "Quit bellyaching"? Over the years I have planted plenty of points. When the Grandlings come to visit I always throw down few field grades when things at the screen slow down.

I rarely post on this forum. I'm not here to bash anyone, or to disrespect anyone, just adding my two cents. IMHO, that point is not a Cahokia, nor a Harrell, nor a Frio, Ensor, or Merrill. It is not a Desert Side-Notched like this either. It is way too big and there are other attributes that are tough to accept. If it is authentic, it is a complete eccentric (i.e. one of a kind) or a new style that I am unfamiliar with. I would absolutely love to be educated on any new style. I'll appologize ahead of time, but at the risk of offending, I'd say someone is playing a joke.
dsn 3

Redman, before you open mouth and insert foot, you may want to educate yourself on your comment about Pat. You must not be aware of what the negatives posters did to her website, are you? Her site was pretty much shut down, due to the bad elements of this wonderful hobby. She has every right, as do you, but like i said, you may want to open your eyes, before you open mouth, to insert that foot. Pat & Michelle put up with way more, than they should!

rgs, I am aware of what happened at the TC site. I am also aware that anyone on this forum has a right to an opinion, so long as that opinion is posted in a civil manner.

I agree. I dont think that anybody is making a personal attack on Pete, but anybody who has collected or dug in Texas for very long can recognize that something is not normal with that point for our area. Just because somebody questions the obvious uniqueness does not mean that they are dissing anybody or their finds, but just want to keep the legitimacy of the hobby. I would be more than happy to find out that Pete found a very rare piece of history that we have not seen before.

has anyone heard from pete

Hey Michelle and Pat, here's an idea for you. Since there seems to be so many that enjoying calling points fake and wanting them authenticated, why not let them pay for it. Why should Pete have to pay good money out of his pocket for a point he dug up and knows it's real. You guys that think his point, or any other point is fake, YOU can pay for the authentication. That will settle your mind. I've already seen it more then once where someone had a point certified, then have the same poster who called it a fake say that the certification papers can be faked too. This way you are paying for it, now would you call the paper you paid for FAKE? Bet there'd be a lot less points called fake after you guys started coughing up the bucks instead of the finder.

"Why should Pete have to pay good money out of his pocket for a point he dug up and knows it's real?"

Because those that are familiar with Texas flint are giving him a warning that things don't look right! Regardless of how it was found and who saw it. JMHO

You know this is a awesome hobby! Pete we saw you work hard digging! Jerry and I congrads you!!!!!!! Lets all enjoy his find and be happy digging. Jerry was right behind him watching him dig hard! Couldn't have happened to a better person!!!!! Trish!

I will pay to have it looked at.Its just that simple if it comes back real that will put a end to it.I would even give Pete a sting of my east Texas beads for all the trouble.Just going by the pictures I see that point is fake. I have seen some crazy stuff found but in this case I think someone pla*** a bad joke on Pete and that's just wrong.If I found it I would send it off even if I dug it.I don't want this hobby ruined by someone out planting fake points and then they end up in someones collection.Pete if you read this have someone to look at that point on my dime and come dig with me any time.

Tehuacana
Since there seems to be so many that enjoying calling points fake and wanting them authenticated, why not let them pay for it.

I enjoy this hobby immensely. I do not “enjoy” calling anything fake. But since you brought it up,…

OK, I’ll pay for it. Put the guy in touch with me or give me his contact info. I will be happy to pay all reasonable costs (COA, Shipping, and Insurance) just for the knowledge I’d gain on a style I am not familiar with in the event it is real. I’m easy to find on Arrowheadology.com and I always keep my word.

Tehuacana
Why should Pete have to pay good money out of his pocket for a point he dug up and knows it's real..

He shouldn’t “have to.” It is his choice. If I buy this COA, it will be the first one in my life. I am one that thinks COAs are generally a stupid waste of money, but then I am not a buyer or seller of artifacts. It is his point. He can call it anything he wants. It is his business.

Tehuacana
Bet there'd be a lot less points called fake after you guys started coughing up the bucks instead of the finder.

Not by me. I’m usually the one defending the spectacular and unusual finds. I typically give the benefit of doubt to anyone and I have absolutely no reason to think anything negative about this individual. Right now I’d say the odds are about 75/25 that is not authentic. The 25% chance it is real makes the potential knowledge worth the cost.

Where's Pete? I have a feeling everyone has been had and Pete is getting the last laugh.

Oh geesh! Hes probally living his life! Can ya lay off him please! Just dig and have fun and leave the man alone grrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh geesh! Hes probally living his life! Can ya lay off him please! Just dig and have fun and leave the man alone grrrrrrrrrrr!

Pete is more than welcome to come dig with us! The man dug hard and for a long time even in the rain!
Our pleasure Pete to have dug with you! Our first time! At the dig site! We met some great friends and had a good time! Even though it rained. Pete drove a long way to dig! Awesome find Pete!

Hey Jay, glad you're familiar with all the TX flint. Mabbe you need to go to some of the museums in Texas and see some of the non-native points and material that's been found right here in Texas. I've found East Texas points in south Tx. ie Caddo points. Also points made of material from Mexico. You do a little research you'll find that the Aztec's extended their range into northern New Mexico and Colorado. So don't think it's beyond the realm of probability when non-native artifacts are found.
Mojave and Steve, I appreciate your willingness to pay for the authentication. Haven't heard a peep out of Roy Mills, Brad, or Jay on defraying the cost.
I've only been hunting artifacts for a little over half a century, so I'm not an expert like you guys are. But I did learn long time ago that it wasn't beneficial on my behalf to call someone out, or call them a liar. If you have your doubts on a point, contact that person directly, instead of cyber slandering him in full view of everyone on the internet. If you don't like being attacked on the message board, don't be the instigator of an attack. If the point was planted, that should be of a much greater concern to you then the authenticity. The alleged point planter will do more damage to this hobby then an occassional fake. And Mojave, I have no intentions of contacting Pete. His point is real as far as I'm concerned. If it's proven otherwise, so be it. But that's something that needs to be taken care of off site.

Tehuacana
But I did learn long time ago that it wasn't beneficial on my behalf to call someone out, or call them a liar. If you have your doubts on a point, contact that person directly, instead of cyber slandering him in full view of everyone on the internet. If you don't like being attacked on the message board, don't be the instigator of an attack. If the point was planted, that should be of a much greater concern to you then the authenticity. The alleged point planter will do more damage to this hobby then an occassional fake. And Mojave, I have no intentions of contacting Pete. His point is real as far as I'm concerned. If it's proven otherwise, so be it. But that's something that needs to be taken care of off site.

I’ll beat this horse one last time.
I’ve read this thread a dozen times and I still don’t see anybody “calling anybody out,” calling them a “liar,” “slandering” anybody or “attacking” anybody. I thought this was a pretty cool and civil thread with a potential for knowledge gained. I don’t understand the defensiveness. I truly would like the thing authenticated at my cost (or anybody else’s for that matter) so that I can learn about the style and culture. That being said, I think there is a significant degree of possibility that someone is playing a joke. I didn’t say the Chrisners, or the finder, or anybody else!
On contacting Pete, I’d love to but I don’t know him. As much as I’d like to, I’ve never met him and I don’t know how to contact him. It was your suggestion that I’m responding to. If it is real as far as you are concerned, and you think it needs to be taken “off site,” then why did you post what you did?
And no, I’m not attacking you either. I just read the thread again and I still don’t see anybody running anybody off or the need to “lay off” anybody.
Seriously, why is everybody so sensitive?

Not jumping on you Mojave. Or anyone else. I've been posting here for nearly a year, and the main complaint I have is the fact that anytime something new or different is found, it's automatically called a fake. And those same posters DEMAND it be authenticated. There are polite ways to do it, but certain posters think it's their God given right to make the decision on what's real and what isn't.
I've seen questionable points on here before, but you don't see me slandering the point or finder.
The only person, in my opinion, who needs to be concerned about the authenticity of an artifact is the buyer. Other then that, it's nobody's business.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

hey doc

What is your work address and phone, i just googled you, and you don't seem to exist? Might you be one of the trouble makers i wonder? Somebody of your stature would certainly be on the internet.

Re: hey doc

Ditto, rgs, not in the staff/faculty phone book either. Strange?

Michelle how you put up with such idiots & nonsense, is beyond me?

Time to empty out the garbage!

Hey Mojave, This is a feel good only site where critical thinking and logic don't seem to matter. Funny.....it reminds me of other current events! LOL

Please DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

trolls/riff raff/ immature adults

Don't YOU ALL now have your own site, why are you all loitering here, and running it into the ground with YOUR immaturity? CLEAN HOUSE MICHELLE! Oh and jon jon, one's credetials can be checked out, in a blink of an eye, with the internet, duh. Can you authenticate points by viewing on your computer, if so you may want to start up your own busisness, for all others require the point in thier possossion, to inspect, you are one amazing clown.

I caught that one too, Hal. Some red faces around here.

what is the old saying?

Birds of a feather, flock together?

Have another drink Bob.

Man, this is getting better than the wife's soap operas.

Jon, if you want to be taken seriously, it's usually a bad idea to falsely present yourself as an expert, and also make judgements on artifacts that are based solely on opinion. As far as I'm concerned I haven't seen a single scientific fact that PROVES validity for either sides claim. Myself, I think it's real, but that's my opinion, and when others hold their opinion opposite to mine I listen to their reasoning and take it into consideration. Not make attacks. So in short let's not just try to rile everyone up for no good reason. There is no reason why this discussion can't be conducted in a civil and productive manner.

Mojave
I rarely post on this forum. I'm not here to bash anyone, or to disrespect anyone, just adding my two cents. IMHO, that point is not a Cahokia, nor a Harrell, nor a Frio, Ensor, or Merrill. It is not a Desert Side-Notched like this either. It is way too big and there are other attributes that are tough to accept. If it is authentic, it is a complete eccentric (i.e. one of a kind) or a new style that I am unfamiliar with. I would absolutely love to be educated on any new style. I'll appologize ahead of time, but at the risk of offending, I'd say someone is playing a joke.
dsn 3

Hi Mo, I remember you well, excellent collection, very knowledgable. Your evaluation of the mystery
point is as good as can be expected from a picture on the internet and up to your usual standards,
Your pictured example is superb.

So until the point is in the hands of the apraisers your judgement is fine with me because thats your field of expertise. . . .
HOWEVER, I take strong exception to your last sentence. A bit of lightleartedness in the hobby is MY field of professional expertise.
And I also have a picture to validate it.

A "joke" and "practical joke" , by definition is something that ends in laughter. The present situation agravated the land owner and all the witnesses that saw it removed from the dirt. And possibly the finder. The perpetratr is surely laughing but I take the book reference not to include malicious unethical acts.

Photobucket

In the United States [ I dont know about Europe, Africa, Asia and the subcontinent ] They actually have a designated day set asside just to inject a bit of humor into the po****tion, sort of an official "joke day"
Over the years it became known as April Fools day.
Some out of the ordinary [ and unexpected ] gag was pla*** on family, friends, neighbors and work associates. INVARIABLY, all had a good laugh, or a resolve to get even next year. Come midnight of April 1st, the joke day is officially over.

Were this a joke, the perpetrator would have revealed it while all the witnesses, wallowing in the mud were
gathered around and all could have a good guffau or
possibly a laugh.

Too many days have now elapsed for a joke. This is a deliberate crime just as surely as graffitti spra*** on the front of your house.
The perpetrator is lurking out there right now, and quite possibly [ more than likely ] adding inflamatory and derisive posts to enhance his crime.

WillTA
Just wondering what kind of I.D the po****r vote gave to Pete's point from Digfest? Very interesting,very nice, watago Pete!

Congratulations Will, Your 21 words may have put you on track to the record replies. I'm trying to help
with my posting.. . . .
On to page THREE

Just like Your original posting. . .The star maker is over active, no words were used in my post that you wouldnt hear in church.

OK all this can end right now.I'm calling that point out and will put up all the money and give Pete some very nice artifacts from my collection to have Dwain look at it.If Dwain say good It will end and I will eat crow.No one is blaming anyone for planting arrowheads.I look at it as my duty to look out for Pete.Come on Pete stand up and do the right thing and send it in and lets end this now.I don't understand why people are getting all out of whack because we are questioning the point.Its easy for someone to have pla*** a bad joke.I have seen with my own eyes at Chrisners people planting points for a joke for other friendly diggers.I would hate to know that a fake point got into my collection.Its up to Pete to do what he wants but that point will always be question until it is proven and papered.
Just think what that point would be worth if it did a paper.......Just a thought.....

Does anyone have better (close up) pictures of this thing? Based on the posted pictures my vote is that it's no question a modern knapped point.....jmho

Pete has nothing to prove, leave the poor man alone!

He probably could care less(i know i would), about what all you think! For all he knows, is that he unearthed an artifact! The guy is a newbie i do believe, so let him enjoy his find! LOOK AT THE GRIN ON HIS FACE, ONE HAPPY CAMPER! He probably could care less what all you critics & doubters think. All you detractors are doing, is running off many respectful contributors from these forums. I for one hope Pete does not have a computer, to have access to all this mess! God bless you Michelle for putting up with us & them!

Re: Pete has nothing to prove, leave the poor man alone!

is it real or is it fake, dont know dont care tired of hearing about it. if its real petes not repping it. if its a joke its in poor taste. if its a fake its not the first wont be the last.if its a eccentric that wont classify its not the first wont be the last.as for me im going digging old digger

I'm new......

.....and I'm confused. I've been lurking for a while.

Did some post's in this thread get deleted or something?

Why would someone plant a fake and how much does it typically cost to appraise/authenticate a point?

"All you detractors are doing, is running off many respectful contributors from these forums".RGS glad I'm not a newbie and you digging by me!By me question that point I am respectful given my contribution because I am not a newbie.

Loner 556, yeah one of the troublemakers got banned. This is a kid friendly site. And the next answer of a planted point is still in debate. Real or planted fake. Authentication varies, $25 - $35. Mabbe a little more. It's according to where you take it.