Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nacho Dig Report

Hi All,
Last Saturday, my cousin Brad Stiles, who lives a few blocks from my place here in SE KS had arranged to do a Full 8 hour screen dig at Nachos Digsaite near Barksdale. He normally goes down there when I go, but he wanted to go then & I passed, as I figured that digsite was close to getting exhasted, as I had kept in touch with Nacho & he said they were winding down that area pretty quick. So I stay home, scored my best find (the Clovis I posted) the day before in chilly KS & Brad went & he done GREAT! He said he had a screen table all to hisself & that another party of 4 people were on another screen & they did'nt find near as much as Brad, but found a few artifacts.

Brad scored a Fist Axe and a 5" Base Tang Knife within the first few loads of dirt, then a full Lajita, a really nice large early triangle & other pieces. The Base Tang has a ancient ding on its side (doesnt detract from it IMHO) & a small ancient chip off one of the ears, other than that, its ALL there, 99% full & SUPER thin, less than 1/4" of awesome brownish, semi-translucent hill country flint, a KILLER piece!
Congrats to Brad Stiles on his Great Day at Nachos Dig & thanks to Nacho & Rosco for making it happen for him.........

Heres Brads Base Tang
Photobucket

Brad holding his Base Tang
Photobucket

Brads days finds at Nachos Digsite
Photobucket

Re: Nacho Dig Report

Thanks John for the report. Melvin called Nacho a couple of weeks ago. Nacho said they were digging in the middle of the property and found some nearly complete Andice points. Other then that, Nacho's has been pretty quiet. Hadn't heard of anybody posting their finds so we didn't know if he was shut down already, or screeners just weren't having any luck.
That is a killer base tang. It would be the find of the day in anybody's book.

Thanks John, I was wondering how that site was holding up. Nahco told me he was only digging on weekends the last time I called him and because of that I wasn't able to make it there on my last trip. I'm hoping to get back there soon. I've had some great days screening with Nacho and hope to have more. It is amazing how many great points have come off that site and you know there's always one more.
Happy Hunting. AL.C

great report john, thanks

John,

Great finds. Early Triangulars get no love and that is a nice one in the top right corner. Congrats to you and Brad on two great hauls.

Shannon

Are Kansasians particularly known for being lucky ? Or just your family ?
Good job Brad, lucky on the WX too. Is that Andice worked all the way down or just broken ? In the 10th Ed. Money book I see they show a similar well used
example still $ 60.

great finds. Love tha base tang

Thanks all for the comments on Brads finds, Hal I guess from time to time we Kansans are lucky, but you know how artifact hunting goes, sometimes it produces great, then we may dig or walk days & find little. I guess it all boils down to persistance & effort, if a person keeps plugging away, it will eventually pay off, right? Though I am currently a Kansan Hal, I DO own property in TX, so I'm also a wannabe Texan, right? lol! Of course my TX land is in West TX & though there are no middens on it, I have found a few points & blades on the ridges that were lost by the ancients long ago.......John F.