Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Went back, found some more

went digging monday, and here is what i found.
Photobucket
Photobucket
here is close up of good finds. all were pretty basic i.d. except the one directly to the right of the quarter. im thinking perd-langtry transitional with a beveled resharpened tip, what do yall think? i guess the two triangles are kinneys, that just dont have as deep of a concavity as you normally see.the big one is the best i have, very thin and just over 3" long. the langtry sure is a heartbreaker though.
Photobucket
these two "rocks" are also a neat find, i figured geofact when i found them and when i was wiping the mud off of them, i noticed my hands turning red, and white with each respective stone. i gently rinsed them off and wiped one across the back of my wrist. it left a bright red streak. this was when i decided that they must be what i had suspected them to be when i found them, ochre. i now firmly believe the red one is, but i am unsure as to the composition of the white one. for those who dont know, according to my sources, ochre is a naturally occuring mineral, that is used in primative paints, ex: cave paintings, "war paint", ceremonial paint, and with rites of passage. the two were found about a foot apart, at the bottom of a heavy occupation layer. if you know anything about this would you please let me know.

Re: Went back, found some more

Nice finds, you're in a good place & the point next to the quarter might be a rough Paisano.

Man, good thing you spotted the ochre and didn't chunk it like I did at Campwood. Wasn't even thinking about ochre while screening and found a piece the size of yours. Tossed it in the throw dirt and it was only after another screener found the ochre bowl that I realized what it was. Too late then, buried under a ton of dirt.

raced against the rain to clean my hole out today, and dug a little while i was there.
Photobucket

You poor fellow, a full frame every visit !

I'd call that R of 1/4 a perforator, deliberatly left " fat " for a better grip. I'd say your
correct on the type if you drop the name that starts with an " L "

As a wild guess on the white paint tint. This whole part of the world has a strata of limestone
identified as AUSTIN CHALK . And with good reason, its soft, pure white and has very little hard fossil material included.

At least in the Austin area we find a LOT of smallish very definite YELLOW rocks. They were surely brought home to see if they were useable. None ever show any signs of scraping. Guess they are too hard or maybe just not soluable.

I suppose you realise that you have exceeded the law of digging that says after finding so many
good points, any minute now you are going to find some very special item that would be spectacular !

Good show

PS:::: Tuck, I just went back to check all your previous posts. . . 99.4 % of your brokes are
BASES.
Thats usually a sign as big as a roadside billboard that all those different tribes came back to camp to repair their field damaged artillery..
Finding full points goes hand in hand with that theory.
Lots of tips in an area might mean it was dug out of some meat, doing target practice around the camp
or possibley just broken by the force of cutting and scraping. . . . NONE of these activities needed a shiney new replacement point in that area of the camp.

Somewhere around your camp, surfacers for years have been finding thousands of tips and wondering what the bases might have looked like !

Well sh we do find proportionately more bases than tips, but there is another factor I didn't include... I don't always post the tips, because especially on good days, I didn't think that y'all would necessarily want to see them. But one thing supporting your theory is that we do find a lot of repaired points.

cingrats Tucker. You are beating that spot up. Keep posting the pics. Love to see other peoples finds, especially when I am to busy to get out there and hunt or dig myself.
Hopefully I will get a chance to get out Monday and play in the dirt.