Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
GAME BALL ?

I walked over to checkout a well worn baseball lying on gravelly soil with no other vegitation. .

Photobucket

I had not seen anything quite like it before, seems like a fungus spore, with roots.
Using it for scale, it doesnt do proper justice to the impact fractured HARDIN. A real find for me, from deep in the red where the occasional Martindales have been comming from.

Photobucket

Nice insitu of a ?

Photobucket

Only a broken tipped lanceolate. Still a nice scare.

Photobucket

Needed a good scale for the find of the day. . . checkout whatever variety of ants made this "nest ".
They sure went to a lot of effort to keep their front door area swept clean !
Flint is a needle pointed SAN GABRIEL blade [ rare for me to find a largeish blade with that sharp a tip ]

Photobucket

Impossible to catch in a pic but the entire edges of the blade is about the sharpest
I have ever seen, truely comparable to the modern day pocket knife !

Photobucket

Certainly sharper than my red insitu knife that wouldnt cut butter !

Re: GAME BALL ?

SH, your baseball is a Pisolithus tinctorius,( earthball fungus) not edible but used as a source of black and brown dyes by both Amerindians and early settlers. No doubt you could still skin a deer with that knife blade.

Redman
SH, your baseball is a Pisolithus tinctorius,( earthball fungus) not edible but used as a source of black and brown dyes by both Amerindians and early settlers. No doubt you could still skin a deer with that knife blade.

Good info, , , DAM, if I had known that before I would have bagged the ball and sent it to Tucker so he would have had the full range of primary colors with his recent finds. . .
RED - WHITE & BROWN !

Hal, Interesting Fungi-Gameball & nice artifacts, that blade was nice. JF

Hey better idea send it to Jacob h and he could paint some overhangs with it lol. Also NICE BLADE, San Gabriela are hard to come by with a pointy tip like that I'm told.

Hal, I think we called them stink balls where I grew up in Washington State.
Now, that San Gabriel, we'd call that, real sweet.
Happy Hunting. AL.C

Nice blade there SH. That joker has a great tip on it. Learned something new today. Now if only I could pronounce the name of the fungus I would be ok.