Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question for SH

Hey Sh, since you seem to know lots of people in all areas, fossils and things, maybe you can help point me in the right direction. I found this tooth in a creek in Williamson cty. It is just a fraction over 1 1/2 inches long.
Do you know someone that can help ID what it came from?
I was thinking a mosasaurus because I have found mosasaurus vertebal bones in the same creek but another person said maybe it was from a smilodon that used to roam these parts back in the day.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Question for SH

I called the past president of the PALEONTOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AUSTIN. Left a message, he's probably out
on a field trip. He usually calls back when he gets back to catch up on business.

Today is the last day of GEM CAPERS in down town Austin. Lots of savy people there showing
gems, minerals & fossils.

Just like flint, identifying nebulous pieces from a picture is dicey.
I would tend to a marine creature because thats the predominant finds in Trav & Willm Ctys.
See front page, 3rd row of icons up from bottom. MY X-FISH VERTEBRE . Badger found this in Walnut creek
right at the north part of the city of Austin. Researched it, then visited the Natural history Museum
on the UT grounds / Austin. They have a complete [ huge skeleton on display ]. . . A whole mouthfull of stubs that look just like yours !

If you really have to know, take it to a university that has any kind of a fossil department
[paleontology]. If your north, Baylor might be worth a call, they have had a thing going on with Mammoths for years now.

Last shot, PSA meets the third Tuesday of every month. Guest visitors always welcome. Get time & address from TEXASPALEO.COM
In addition to possibly learning what your fossil is, and then something of other fossils. . . . they do
once a month field trips to areas known to have fossils exposed. . . . .
Who's to blame a guy for picking up a piece of flint instead of a clam shell ?

thanks for the info Sh. I appreciate it. I knew you could point me in the right direction.

I agree, looks like a Mosasaur. Lots of Mosasaur fossils in the Taylor & Navarro groups. Plus there are loads of shark teeth in these deposits.

If you have the time and you are in the area, Fossilmania is going on this weekend, Oct.30,31, Nov.1 in Glenrose...google fossilmania for details...

Thanks Larry!

I put it on the events page and the front page for the fossil hunters!

Michelle