Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ID Help Please!

Here are some pictures of three of my points. The little red one, which is a deeper red than the pictures show, is as small as they git. I found this one nearly 20 years ago in Rains county on Lake Fork. What is it? It was sittin on the surface in a dirt patch, about 3 feet across, in the woods. If small points are called bird points this must be a mouse point. The long stemmed one was bought off the internet bout 4 years ago so I dont know anything about it. What is it? The last one looks a lot like a Langtry but I keep gittin told that it cant be because it was found in Rains county on Lake Fork. What is it? I found it bout 4 years ago in a dirt driveway of a neighbor that never comes to the property anymore. I know that it wasnt planted cause nobody down there knows that I collect points. I have kept it a secret cause most of my points come from dirt driveways in our community and I dont want every one pickin them up. Anyway, if anyone can shed light on these I would appreciate it. I just started usein this site and it along with all its users are great. Hope to meet some more of Ya'll in a mud hole somewhere soon. I was at Digfest and it was great as well.

I hope these pictures work cause I would hate to have to read the directions on post pictures.

Marshall Ellis

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Re: ID Help Please!

Hey Marshall, and welcome!! First that little bird point is a stumper, it most fits the description of the south Texas point caracara. But based on where it's from I'd call it a rough little wash ita,( it's one word but the swear bleeper will turn it into wa****a). As for the Langtry, I believe it is in fact a Langtry. It could have got to you by trade, or some tribe travelling north in search of food. Or possibly if the driveway dirt was imported from south Texas, to make the driveway, it could have travelled here thousands of years laterin the bed of a truck. As for the mystery point with the long stem, it may be an andice that was repaired after the ears broke off. Do you have a coa on it?
P.s. As far as hunting on other peples driveways, it's kinda sketchy. And I personally wouldn't hunt without permission or want someone hunting points on my property without permission( even if it's just the driveway). A more ethical practice would be to obtain landowner permission first, then you are not only hunting within the boundaries of the law, but ina situation with a prior agreement you can legally keep your points, otherwise technically the points still are property of the landowner. Nice to have you on board!! (pun always intended)

Only 3 points but lots of words to comment on them!
Mouse point should be easy to ID because of the bobust base. Just going by base, maybe a
resharpened DARDANELLE. Sounds funny to think of a point that small being resharpened but by the book that variety is much more slender.

#2. . ." bought on the internet " then identified by internet pictures is the worst of both worlds.
BUT. . . If another somebody knows what it is, Dan & I would like to know too ! Dan dug one up and until yours, have never seen another one like it. Found in Travis Co.
Back to front page, top row of icons at the bottom. JAN 2008 FINDS. . . all the way down at the bottom
[ little cursur about 97% down ]
You do live right where they have the long based CARROLTON. . . .but not THAT long !

You ARE a long way from Langtry country ! How about a slightly out of proportion BULVERDE.

In reply to Tuckers help,
No dirt was brought in to make the drive way. Just plain ole worn down drive. No COA on the long stem point just a money back guarantee that it would paper. The people down there are typically beer drinkin, stick bait slingin guys that could probly care less about a pointed rock. Any time Im asked I just say Im lookin for fossiles and they say good luck, want a beer?

Nice east Texas points you have.All are common east Texas points.
1.Is a Ellis point "The east Texas Ensor"
2.is a Dawson point
Similar to wells point. I have one that looks just like it I will try to find it.
3.is a Dickson point "East Texas Gary point"
We call them Garys but there are many variety types of "Garys"
Thanks for posting..

Thanks

Thanks Steve.
It sounds like you are sure of your ID. I hope so cause you ID'ed the first one as an Ellis and that is my last name. That would be just too cool.

Re: Thanks

wEll that said, good luck hope you find a bunch more. most people are like that around here too it must be a Texas "thang" lol. Look forward to seeing some ***ure finds

I believe that the 1st is way to small to be an Ellis, which is a spearpoint not a birdpoint.

I've never seen such a long stem on a point & doubt it's authenticity.

The 3rd point is a Langtry, as Gary's don't have such wide ears.

Well after looking at the size of #1 if its not a Ellis then maybe a Rockwall or Scallorn type its hard to say without holding it.I have seen some small Ellis points but that one is pretty small.The #2 could have been used more as a tool but still looks more like a Wells/Dawson point .I would bet money its good and is not a fake.#3 Is straight up a Gray point variety.East Texas points are hard to type because they have to many variations.

silverbacker
I believe that the 1st is way to small to be an Ellis, which is a spearpoint not a birdpoint.

I've never seen such a long stem on a point & doubt it's authenticity.

The 3rd point is a Langtry, as Gary's don't have such wide ears.

Silvr, on that long stemmed one, pls compare it to the one I refered to as found by Dan...I saw that one come right out of the ground.
Since the first one has an unknown history, maybe the same guy made them both.
I never thought it was a single identified type but rather a rework of another point. Asside from the very long stem, interesting how both have a very close design of the blade itself.

Authenticity

I bought the long stemmed one from one of the sites listed under Dealer Links, on this site, a few years ago. I figure that it is authentic since these seem to be re****ble sites. I cant recall which one cause I bought several points at that time from different dealers. I agree that it looks almost identical to the one referred to as found by Dan. I was amazed when I looked at Dan's. Check it out.
Marshall