Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
new 2 diggin, seeking your best advice for newbies

Hi ya'll, went to digfest for the 1st year, it was awesome and we met alot of really nice people- had fun even though it tried to turn into "Mudfest" on us. We're new to artifact hunting, though we've found several scrapers, tools, and lots of 'worked rock' in our area. Found a few arrowheads along the way, our neighbor found a nice 5" knife on his place...Problem is -we need your BEST ADVICE on how to "dig a little deeper" lol into finding and hunting. Any advice would be appreciated. Luv to read about and see all of your finds!!

Re: new 2 diggin, seeking your best advice for newbies

Well Cat, since you were at Digfest you saw the huge variety of dig tools and techniques many
different diggers prefer. So that needs no answer, just use what you like best.

As for " digging deep " advice. . . . Just go down until you donot find a single flake of flint,
then go deeper ! There is no limit except bedrock.
The Gault site is now being heralded as one of the most important sites in NORTH AMERICA ! Decades of "profesional" diggers " dug it out ". . .
and left the best Paleo layer the scientists have ever found well below their scratchings !

For some newbies, the largest hurtle is not how to dig and how deep but. . . "where to dig".
Frequent a paydig that suits your location and budget.
Get some experience [ you are now a qualified mud digger so you can skip that in the ***ure ]
You are certain to meet the occasional other diggers and some flint chatter could lead to a
knowledge of other digs that are less well known.

Most of TX is wonderful looking "Indian country" but for the small amount of dirt a hand digger moves,
you really have to dig near a proven camp.

THANKS HAL!!!! your help is greatly appreciated! Another question, how do recognize a campsite or a potentially good place to dig? Any surface or geographical clues? We've looked at google maps of terrain around us, its very promising. Also, how do you approach a landowner to ask permission to dig/look?

I have found that sites are almost always located very close to a creek or body of water, usually above the floodplain, possibly has northwind shelter or high ground. Overhangs, caves or rockshelters are also promising, and here you can occasionally see smoke deposit on the ceiling. As for testing a potential site I would dig a testhole or trench until you hit bottom then sift the dirt for burnt rock, flint flakes, bone or other debitage, if you don't find points in the hole. It's a hit and miss hobby so dig multiple holes in multiple places. As for landowners permission, first I would establish myself as someone who is interested in finding arrowheads. After doing this in my own small rural community two separate owners with proven sites inveted me to dig; I didn't even have to ask!! Then there is the "coffee table strategy" go to the store/resteraunt where all the oldtimers hang out, introduce yourself, and after a coupleof days of shooting the bull, bring some points by and they will more than likely tell you about known sites in the area! I've tried this successfully after reading it on the board a while back. Another hint is to ask to surface hunt the place before you ask to dig and try to build up a rapport with the owners. As for "newbie suggestions" I would say that you have to develop your own method over time, try digging with different tools, throw a sifter into the mix. Also depending on the point density in the mound you may try to move all the dirt you can then sift it, instead of slow and steady picking with a screw driver. Another thing is be creative, if it looks like it will work try it, if it doesn't modify it!! I dig with a hay hook and sift my throw for bird points, because that suits the site we currently dig, best. O e thing to remember is try to move your throw off of the site, dump it in the creek, haul it off, it's all good. There's nothing worse than putting a ton of dirt on top of the "hot spot,. And digging through four feet of throw. I use a wheel barrow mounted sifter, and would highly reccomend it. Also I consider having a "clean hole" a priority, the messier it is the bigger chance you'll have of missing points, digging shallow cause your sitting on a pile of throw, and when it rains it will compact and create a layer that is sterile of points. Also important is to try to be comfortable, wear boots so your shoes don't have super fine black dirt in them for months to come, drink water, and never forget gloves, I've been cut almost to the point of needing stitches of a flake hiding in a wall. Hope this helps good luck.And remember it's your hobby as much as you make it yours.

TEXASBEYONDHISTORY.NET click CAMP BOWIE location.

Cat, sometimes something a little bit out of the ordinary can give you a good reason to try a test hole.
An example is the following pics from our Halloween dig party "

Photobucket

Photobucket