Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
surface finds

hey all,

here's a couple of surface finds from travis county. jetta and early triangular we think?

Re: surface finds

wicked tip!

Sweet points nice flaking on that early triangle, even better when you consider those are surface finds.

That is the best example of a Jetta point I have seen in 20 years. I was about to give up on the "type"!
What part of Travis County? Having the ET with it
confirms the age...as in our excavations at the Jetta
Court site,back in the 60s.

TRH

digbros
hey all,

here's a couple of surface finds from travis county. jetta and early triangular we think?

I agree. The tip twist or any twist isn't normal on Jetta's those is it? Mabbe just reworked?

Tip and twist are very important attributes of a real Jetta. Lots of Pedernales get mistaken for Jetta, but the real technology of a Jetta, the barbs, etc., are on this specimen.

Tom

Not one of our local south Tx. points I guess. I've never seen even a broken one in this area. A few perds whose bases looked similar like you said, but nothing like this one.

Does the Jetta also have a basal twist? I've got a point I suspected to be a jetta and it has a basal twist but the tip is broke.

sweet points

wow, i was really hoping it was a Jetta. It's good to hear a confirmation from the same guy who wrote the book i used to identify it lol...they were both found within tweny feet of each other on the same eroding camp located off of lake Travis near the confluence of Cow creek. There isnt any beveling on the stem.

Digbros:

Ellen Sue Turner and I are doing the 3rd edition of
Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians. It will be a larger more detailed book. The great lithic artist,
Richard McReynolds, is redrawing every thing in the book...so far, over 700 specimens, with probably about that many to go! Richard will not illustrate any from a photo, etc., and has to draw the specimen
personally. Fortunately, many archaeologists -- including many folks who post on this site and on other similar forums, have been a huge help to us.
They are collectors, but they are interested in making the book as good as it can be for Texas
archaeology.

That said, I would hope you would consider a very short-term loan of the Jetta specimen so that Richard
could draw it and it would be published in the 3rd
ed., due out in late 2010. Richard has worked with
collectors and professionals for 30 years. Some of
our colleagues have sent, to Sue, loads of Paleoindian
points and other types from around the State...by insured mail...or some from West Texas have brought their Paleoindian points to San Antonio and left them
at Sue's so that Richard can draw them. Thus, you can
see the level of trust that the whole spectrum of folks who "do" archaeology have in the integrity of
Sue and Richard; most of 'em even trust me,but they're
the ones handling the loans, credits, etc.

Email me at secocreek@swtexas.net if this is of interest to you.

Thanks!

Tom Hester

Keep us informed Tom, we'd like to know when the book comes out. Think everybody that has an interest in artifacts needs a copy. Sure been a help to me.