Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
More metal detecting finds.

My wife had to go visit a girl from her work yesterday. She said she lived close to a neighborhood that was pretty old, so I said I wonder if she will let me detect over there? Well, she asked her and she said, "sure go ahead" and I was pretty happy about that. It's not a real old house, but it was built in 1946. My second coin was a quarter at about 6" deep, so I thought it had a chance to be silver but was a 1966. I dug a bit of clad coins (new coins) and had no wheats or silver until about midway through the hunt and finally at 6" a 1919s mercury dime pops out. I didn't expect to find a coin that old at this house. After that I was pretty pumped and found another merc (1941) and three wheats (1935), (1946), (1952d). I ended up with $2.31 in clad (new coins) and I didn't finish the house and will be back again. Here are the pics:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Day two:

Well, I went back to the house that I found the two mercs at and found eight wheats and another Mercury dime. I think it is 1920. It is worn pretty good. I hit the oldest wheat penny (1919s) with my digger. I also found a ring that is espo 10k gold filled. That's my first ring to find. Here are my finds:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is a pic of an antique medicine bottle with a metal cap and a token I found the other day at the site in Glen Rose. The token dates back to around 1926-1928.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: More metal detecting finds.

Great finds, you are either real good, real lucky or both! I had a metal detector for years as a kid, and i never found anything other than beer tabs. Look for old knock downs around town.

There are better detectors now that are better with discriminating. You do have to dig all the pull tab signals though to get gold rings and jewelry! I hate that part of it.

I bet even a cheap locator works good once you get the feel of it. I'm like rgs, I found a house built in 1880 and lived in up to the mid 1980's. Over 100 years. Thought I'd get rich with 100 years worth of coins and jewelry. All I found was $22 worth of aluminum beer tabs. And that's about a million of them. Did find one old Jax beer bottle. And a fire ant mound.

I'm mainly after the old coins, relics, and jewelry. The new coins are just a small bonus that adds up. You guys want to know how many pull tabs I dug today? The answer is two.

The wife had bought me one two years ago. That was my first time using it. But I still haven't got the hang using it. But I'll keep trying. Just not at that house.

I'm not really sure Brad. I posted it on treasurenet.com but had no results.

Nice going coin shooter. You need to greatly increase the amount of pickles your family eats,
Those one gallon glass coin holders can fill up fast.

Treasure is where you find it. Even on modestly old houses, L & R of the path up to the front door were said to be hot spots [ going for the door key might bring out more than lint ]

Pull tabs, as bad as they are now in some places, immagine what coin shooting would be like if they didn't ban them back in the 80's

You still dig alot of the pull tabs that are on the cans now. For some reason people still like to yank them off and throw them on the ground.

Hey DJ,
Is this a good source of revenue for fuel funds back to Sanderson? It's the season again. Going soon? Miss those trip reports!

Mike Warton
Hey DJ,
Is this a good source of revenue for fuel funds back to Sanderson? It's the season again. Going soon? Miss those trip reports!

Hey Mike, I'm going to Sanderson after Thanksgiving and will be out there for a while. I hope to post some arrowheads/metal detecting finds when I return.

that's really cool DJ. You gave me a great idea about taking my metal detector out during tgiving. thanks bud

travismcgaughey
that's really cool DJ. You gave me a great idea about taking my metal detector out during tgiving. thanks bud

No problem Travis. Where are you taking it?

DJ
travismcgaughey

No problem Travis. Where are you taking it?

To find shotgun pellets in the bird

nice finds. Maybe there are even more treasures out there.

I'm a green hand treasure hunter. All I found these two months are several unknown coins, I've already lost my interests in treasure hunting. It seems that metal detecting is really hard.

kmykimi
I've already lost my interests in treasure hunting.

Dont lose all hope, researching/ finding a good location is part of the hobby.
In built up areas, check old records for long gone parks or some swimming spot.

Take the batteries out of the detector between use.