Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Posted this one last year. Authentic?

SBBRM2

SBBRM1

Found this along side a large fire pit that had been dug through by some folks with a loader a couple weeks prior. Thought I'd go take a look after they packed up and left.
Just a sliver of the flint was showing, and wehen I reached for it, I realized it had some mass.(you know what I mean..) Then could see the tie around it.
Could this make it over the years burried deep inside a fire pit? Or planted?
It wasn't until I used some water and toothbrush that I noticed the colors. Not like anything I,ve found in cen Tex.
Any info please.
Some of ya may remember this one.However,I see a lot of new folks here at P.Chatter since I posted Last Year.

Re: Posted this one last year. Authentic?

Was the string attached when you found it? Otherwise I would call it authentic. Morhiss? However, when I was in school getting my geology degree I knew some folks who liked to collect rocks at one outcrop and toss them out at the next one so the next geologist who showed up would be really confused.

Well in my completely non-expert opinion I don't think that it's an artifact if that's what you are asking. It was probably leftby the diggers that were there before you. As far as the necklace, it would be a miracle if the leather survived that long in that condition. But that isn't to say the point isn't a real one the owner tied onto a necklace. But The flaking doesn't look right, and I know that if I found a point made of exotic material like that, the last thing I would do is make it jewelry, I'd stick it in a case. But if you really want a definitive answer send it to Dwain Rogers, or another authenticator. Sorry

What ya see is how I found 'er....

Some day soon,I'll do just that.
Until then, it stays out of light and rarely touched.

I remember. Have you been wearing it? Seems like it's bound to be a good luck charm.

That leather cordage is modern; its available by the spool at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores.

Hobby Lobby? You don't say. I guess now your gonna tell me that I could build a house from a store like Home Depot.
Look closer. This didn't come off a spool. And who's gonna take the time to attach it as well as it is.
If it's a "plant", someone is awfully bored.
Thanks for the info.

I cant find the old posting comments.

"planting" is out of the question as you described the find area. I would think it was a special
point one of the diggers had found and made a necklace out of it to show it off.

If you can get to a flint show, take it out of the vault and let the experts have a look [ no charge ].
There's a good show in January in Fredricksburg. Look at similar treasures at COMANCHE MOON table.

Yes you can build a complete house with materials obtained from Home Depot.

wow redman

Thanks for all the insight on home Depot & Hobby Hobby. Boy have i been missing out! By the way, leather buried in the ground would deteriorate, within just a couple of years of burial, all depending on the amount of moisture in the ground.