Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Recent finds at Nachos

My recent finds at Nachos. The triangular point in the upper left is of a style I am not familiar with. Any ideas? It sort of like a T drill but it is thin.
http://www.winmeek.com/files/2009-11%20Nachos.JPG

Two unusual Langtrys were found - this is one of them.
http://www.winmeek.com/files/DSC00367.JPG

A variety of points were found, including a G10 perd and langtry and some really nice ensors. A flint gorget was also found unfortunately I did not get a photo of it. It was about 4"x2" with 2 holes.
Fred

Re: Recent finds at Nachos

What a great overall selection of types. I donno bout the T point, Dont like the drill idea, maybe the guy was working on a prototype for a new family identity piece !
That looks a bit like a Martindale base on the one, if so there is a lot of time line to be considered.

I'm not surprised that there is no pic of the holy flint gorget, any dig operator would destroy the film if it was found on his property.

Nacho or land owners were not there the day the gorget was found, one of his workers, I think his name was Roscoe, was running the skid loader. Really nice guy, but he was trying to put dirt on the tables and do some screening too so a little rushed. The guy who found the gorget just took it to his car so fast I couldn't photo it.

Fred, Sounds like your serious
Flint cant be drilled. It may have been a similar looking material at a quick glance. Too bad the guy was in such a rush to get it under cover, gorget finds are pretty rare [ especially complete ]

I originally thought you were alluding to a flint gorget found this past April 1st. Dremel drilled

I'm pretty sure it was flint. A corner was broke off and it was shinny and dark brown.

Perhaps the flint had a drillable stone flaw that ran all of the way through? And only the edges were flint... That seems possible, but solid flint!! I won't believe it untill y'all dig up a diamond tipped drill lol. Check out page 1202, fig. 117 of overstreets 10

Tucker
Perhaps the flint had a drillable stone flaw that ran all of the way through? And only the edges were flint... That seems possible, but solid flint!! I won't believe it untill y'all dig up a diamond tipped drill lol. Check out page 1202, fig. 117 of overstreets 10

Tucker. . . . WHERE WERE YOU THIS PAST APRIL FIRST ?, , , ,when the great "hole in flint" battle was raging ?
I had never noticed that example you listed. Notice the author notes there are only 2 known examples.
So if the gorget in question was truely flint, it should be in the record books.

Fred, I spotted a type with a hint of that T shaped one you found. In the STONE ARTIFACTS OF TX , , ,
FRIDAY BIFACE. Described as a knife.

I just called Nacho. He said he doesn't have contact info for the man with the "flint looking" gorget so off into the annals of arrowhead lore we go. The guy was from Tulsa and it was his first time to dig there.
SH. Thanks for the thoughts on the T shaped point. That book is the one I put most faith in. I suspect you are right and it is a Friday or some type of triangular point that was resharpened in an unusual way.
I am planing to go back to Nachos or somewhere right after Christmas. New Years weekend if that will work.