Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
basal grinding question

Is this something that can be seen in a pic, for i have no clue as to what it is? If it is, i'd love for someone to post maybe.
Thanks,
RGS

Re: basal grinding question

The points that I have with basal grinding, you can feel the ground area. The blade edge is much sharper then the area that is ground like the base, and sometimes the ground edge is actually visible, more rounded then sharp.

rgs, I think this is an answer to your question. My camera is not the best at all, so with a good camera you should be able to see basal grinding. I hope the exmples help, also this is probably not the best example but it should do.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm on board with Tehuacana's answer to the basal grinding. Just running your fingers or thumb along the edges of a point will indicate whether or not there is basal grinding, you WILL feel the more dulled, not-as-sharp edges, usually along the bottom third or so of any pieces that have basal grinding. John

I don't know about your area rgs, but around here they used sandstone to grind down the edges. I've found several area's with sandstone outcroppings where you can still see the groves where they ground down the bases and lower edges of points. Also found broken points that had been ground in the same area.

Some of us old-timers run the edge of the artifact over our lip to feel the difference between ground and not ground bases. It works for me! JW-James

ALL, are further good examples that let you know

that you are Not dealing with a ....paleo birdpoint!

Sorry! Could'nt resist! No hard knock

intended,....just a little ribbin.