Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
12-31 NO ANDICE BUT VERY SPECIAL

Photobucket

Re: 12-31 NO ANDICE BUT VERY SPECIAL

Hey Hal, not so fast. I see in your picture its daylight. We haven't heard from the night shift yet,Ha Ha.
My wife and I had a last hunt also. I had spotted this little home a couple years ago so we went for it. It was a tough climb but worth it and supper was on the table when we got there.
Hal, I hope 2010 is your best year ever.
Happy hunting. AL.C

Photobucket
Photobucket

Now that had to be an exciting exploration Al. Is that part of a wall in the picture? Was that a grainery or part of a structure like Mesa Verdi? Smoke stains on the ceiling? We don't have anything close to that out here in the brush country.

Wow that's really amazing, I bet it was really worth the hike.

Hi Ken, It was a small two room place and they lived in it. As you can see there had been fires there for years and the ash was everywhere. About two hundred yards away was a small grainier with lots of broken pots and ollas. Just above it was a larger place but the wife said no when it came to using the toe slots to get up to it. It was another two hundred feet straight up.
You may not have anything like this in the hill country but you have the best points in the world.
Happy hunting. AL.C

Hello Tucker,
It is fun but it takes some effort. A few years back when I was younger I climb to everyone I could find. These were truly amazing people.
Happy hunting and a great new year for you. AL.C

In something like that, would there be any signs of rock art? If I were living there hundreds if not thousands of years ago, I would have scratched something into the rocks around my house, POB number, kids height as they grew up, or some other signifying marks that this was my casa.

Thats a great report, and a great home in the country, complete with ample subsurface water.
[ lots of greenery in the front yard ] All looks very picturesque but I'm not so sure about spending a lifetime of winters or August summers there.

Re daylight,, , , on new years eves, I handle the dayshift exclusively while Badger is on the night patrol. To
see actual pictures of her report, see any newscasts of dancing in the streets !

Lucky 10 to you too Al

Ken, there were a couple petroglyphs on the wall just above the mortered seep basin. The seep was still working as it did when they were there. There also were deep metates in the area outside the walls. Also nutting holes and arrow straighteners. This little home had been used hard. The more I see and learn about these people the more they impress me. AL.C

Things like that has always impressed me more then arrowheads. It shows something more personal that they did. Tells more of how they survived and lived. Did you get any pictures of the artwork?

Ken, The wife did get one picture of art just above the seep. Looks like the deer hunting was good in the area. I'm sure there was more art around but we didn't go looking. It was hard enough just to get there. I've taken hundreds of pictures of art over the last six years I've lived here. Most of it within thirty miles of our home.

Photobucket

Ken, here's one that is behind my home. There are over a hundred on the rocks in one spot. Before my dog died, her and I walked by them every day. We'll never know what these people were trying to say but I sure enjoy setting by them and wondering what it might be.

Photobucket

Are those glyphs and habitation spots common in az? Even if not it would be worth the trip to see even a few.

Hi Tucker, There are many, if you know where to look. If you ever get over here and want to see them, let me know and I'll set you out in the right directions. Keep in mind, there will be miles and miles of hard walking and climbing, but worth every step.
Happy hunting. AL.C.

That reminds me of a posting by Jacob Hendrickson back on Oct. 28 on Australian rock art. I don't know if the age or time frame is about the same on Australian vs AmerIndian, but the subject matter follows along the same course. Mostly animals and geometric designs. I've always wondered if the decendants of the artist could read the same meaning or purpose of the rock art. Or if it was lost in "translation." The White Shaman rock art in Del Rio Tx. actually has earlier art work behind it. Like graffiti painted over with more graffiti. Even though they didn't have a written language, is it possible that certain shapes and symbols represented the same thing over time? Like an octogonal shaped sign means stop even if there is no words on it.