Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
point id

It was kinda slow in here the last few days, i though i would try to pick it up. Anyone know wht kind point this is im stumped.

Photobucket

Re: point id

Hey Josh, don't know where you found it , but it looks like a Fairland to me. This one is mine.

It's the one in the center, found in Gillespie Co.Photobucket

I think the possibilities lie between split base

ensor, or frio variant form. Fairlands typically

have a significantly wider base.

where was this point found and how big is it? It's a nice point.

the point was found in bremond tx. its about 3 inches. i was thinking frio point but i have never seen one found in the robertson county area. what is also wierd is i found perd point on same camp and i have seen very few in my county. the place im at borders falls county getting closer to waco so maybe thats why im finding them there

Actually, your location is not really out of range

for either point type, however, campsites may not be

as concentrated to your east.

I'd lean towards split base Ensor, a look at the flaking could confirm or disprove it as a type.

Out of which archaic layer was the point dug?

as far as lyers go i ws digging in sand shallow points are found 1 to 2 feet this was 5 feet on the bottom of the clay layer

Sounds like you are well below where you would expect to find Ensors, Fairlands and similar late to transitional archaic points. There is a general untyped category of dart points known in southeast Texas and the eastern portions of central Texas which are considered early archaic and referred to generally as "early side notched" points. What type of points were found in association with the point in question? Were they early archaic?

Nothing to do with the main point in question but for an extremly small point checkout how close the details
are of the point in Will's frame above. . .
Straight up from the big middle point , , , as compared to the same type Tucker is showing in his post RECENT TRIPS [ second pic down.] I'm going to bring that posting up so it should appear very close to this one on the mssg Bd.

Re main point ID, I'm with Mike. As a side note, the fairland type mentioned, I always use as an example of
seemingly bad design. The classic point has such a wide base [ left to right ] I would think that would keep the securing string too far away from a wooden
shaft for a good solid mounting.

If it's that deep maybe it's an early stemmed, check for basal grinding.

Brazos fishtail in my opinion. Similar to Mahomet, Zephyr, and Darl.

the point was found 600 yards from the little brazos