Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New finds

Went to the creek to surface and wade afterthe big rain but an hour of walking hadn't yielded a single piece of worked flint, so I dug two wheelbarrows full off
of the top.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
this appears to be a broken tip with two notches
added to salvage it into a bird point, the notches are definately intentional, although hardly noticeable.
These are two more big teeth,(bear as far as I can tell), and a large piece of antler used for soft billet percussion flaking. (no I'm not sure that's what it was used for but one end is worn and lightly scarred the way pieces of deer horn I've used do)
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
not bad for 20 minutes of digging.

Re: New finds

We have found broken tips that were renotched also,

and thik you are right on about being reused. Have

also found a broke back end of a nicely worked

covington blade where side notches were added,

probably to use as a hafted scraping tool.

Good call on the notches Tuck. Wonder how many " triangles " are in collections that started life
as a broken tip of a blade ?

You got a COA on those bear teeth your finding? Your most recent above look a bit canine. Not as macho as
heap big medicine bear but coyote ( or the neighbors Great Dane ) stew is very tasty.

Hey sh I looked at the teeth and they most resemble bear from google pictures. I think they're way too big to be coyote, and are longer and way thicker than my uncles bloodhounds teeth, and that's a pretty big dog. But as far as a definate id, no they have not been examined by an expert.

Tuck, I was drifting through the PICTURE OF THE WEEK ARCHIVES, front pg top rt.
With the little marker 45% the way down, see Steve
Valentines tooth from OHIO. Looks to me like the general structure compares favorably with that bear
molar of yours.