Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BEDROCK JACK

A Monday at Chrisners.

Back to rock moving looking for a new hot spot, site inspector Spyder on duty. .

Photobucket

New tool introduction. . the bedrock Jack. Found a house moving jack, must be a 15 tonner ! This particular block didn't yield anything but flakes but it proves the future potential !

Photobucket

Using the old fashioned VolksWagon jack I got a resonably made gouge.

Photobucket

We paid a visit to an old "hot spot" Not really a serious dig attempt, didn't have the time to do a proper clearing job to get to the deep section.

Photobucket

Very modest finds [ Badgers scraper not shown ] but thats the nature of looking for what might be the
next " hot spot "

Photobucket

That "fishhook" could have been the find of the day but its some kind of fossil. Lots of them in this little area. I have no idea what they were, no hint of a shell design or if a steinkern, no particular
structure design.

Re: BEDROCK JACK

guys that looks very scary.be careful

I have noticed those curly fossils and wondered what they were myself. Did the indians collect them or were they around the area in a high concentration already. Nice point. Better than I have found in a while.

g-towndigger
I have noticed those curly fossils and wondered what they were myself. Did the indians collect them or were they around the area in a high concentration already. Nice point. Better than I have found in a while.

This is serious so I went to the "Field guide to fossils of Texas " Non conclusive. Just a picture
of a curved " lump" called SELLAEA ,lower cretaceous,
Edwards formation. No other explanation.

I have also found the occasional one in midden camps that was presumably brought home. This site is off to the side and original natural soils. They were so prolific ( and I had never seen them like this before ) I took a picture. Squint very closely at the bottom left, there is one still in situ in the big
rock. I'm thinking they surely are steinkerns of the
interior of whatever, seems to be the expected hollow
space around the steinkern where there originally there was flesh or shell.
No two are exactly the same shape or the same hook radius.

Photobucket

Brad's ID looks very good for this creature. > > > SEA WORM NEST

I found a similar fossil, thought it was some kind of prehistoric claw, but I guess it is just a sea worm.

Favorites Coryell Co. Tx.

G, Mother nature has an incredible way of disguising her old creatures, or in this case a "trace" fossil.

Looks like your interested in fossils, what city / area are you located in ?

We live in Gatesville. Always picking up fossils on our little piece of property, as there are many. I never really looked for ancient man artifacts until I started reading this website, as I really had not realized the scope of the civilizations that were here before. I had been told by the previous owner that there were no artifacts here, but I have found probably human chipped flint, and recently when I went looking on our creek with my daughter, she leaned over and said, "Here Mom, is this what your are looking for?"
It was a beautiful little scraper, worked on both sides.

Gin, Your in an excellent historic area. . . Right in your local human habitation goes back 10,000+ yrs.
Those fossils about 100 million.
Flint artifacts can be found ANYWHERE depending on what forces bring them to the surface of continually washed out of minor drainages.
For a fossil field trip off your property, find the Stillhouse lake dam. Walk down the big hike & bike trail along the spillway. Turn right up the drainage at the big wooden foot bridge. Look close, some can be small but largely intact. IF you happen to get there [ after the snow melts ], give us a report if the beavers are still in residence

Nice fossil info for stillhouse hollow. I have never been down the trail you speak of SH but I will have too give it a try.

SH

For a fossil field trip off your property, find the Stillhouse lake dam. Walk down the big hike & bike trail along the spillway. Turn right up the drainage at the big wooden foot bridge. Look close, some can be small but largely intact. IF you happen to get there [ after the snow melts ], give us a report if the beavers are still in residence

Went down today to the dam area you described.....well almost. Got as far as the parking lot. We read carefully the signs warning of sudden rising water. Couldn't convince my teenagers to get out of the car to walk down the path..."Look mom, those people have backpacks, and snacks, hiking shoes, and WATER." Will try again later when we aren't dressed to go to the mall. And we have water...

You took TEENAGERS to go fossil hunting ?? With that kind of nerve how could you be fearful of something as mundane as a flash flood.

Well you did good to locate the starting point (parking lot ). Next visit include a flat blade screw driver, many finds are stuck in the washed down dirt.

Good luck

I HAD A HUGE ONE COME DOWN CRASHING ON THE LOG ABOVE MY HEAD .... THANK GOD FOR THAT OLD LOG AND MY QUICK REFLEXES OR YALL WOULD HAVE FOUND ME THERE IN FULTON HOLLOW AFTER THE BUZZARDS PECKED THE FLESH OFF ME BONES LOL

hey, how the hell did the natives move rocks to put points under those rocks?

Just bringing this post up to date, BS and some other people have found those "fish hooks " at Chrisners..

I think that any where you go and find flint that you're going to find fossils of some sort too. Mostly just imprints down here in So.Tx. but still it's kinda neat to have something else to look for when points get scarce.

Thanks Hal helpfull as always!!

Excellent pics. Fossils are amazing. Tube worms?