Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Few more from the cases!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
few more since the forum has been slow! That bird point is clear as glass! Was that black scraper a andice? Also is that point to the left a caracara or what?

Re: Few more from the cases!

I'd call that point a split base Ensor/frio before caracara, but the scraper looks andice/calf creek to me.

The point to the right (not left), is Caracara. The one to the left, is Merill. What are the arrow size
points that encircle the Merill? They are kind of like
Charcos, but I don't think so. At any rate, I'm not familiar with them and am curious.

My first thought on the long based black point was broken andice. You can never tell but its a good chance.

Not an expert on them, but could they be gar scales?

Yes they are gar scales! Came from a camp in frio county had a knife and bird point right with the scales! I ment the point to right, sorry, that caracara is over 2 1/2 inches long! I think it is anyway! I hope this rain eroded the road I found the andice/scraper!

I don't recall Hester having them in his book, but I've seen them in Perino's and others. Neat finds.

Tehuacana
Not an expert on them, but could they be gar scales?

Good Grief Te, you sharp eyed rascal We're not supposed to do positive ID's from pictures.
How the hell can you see FISH SCALES ?

See page 616 Overstreets eleventh

And thank you Clut for the education

I've pulled a few of those legless aligators out of the water back in my younger days. Seen a lot of gar skeletons that were chunked up on the banks. Some people eat them but that's one fish that just don't look appetizing to me. Later on in life I saw in Perino's books that the scales were used as arrowpoints. Those in Cluton's frame just looked awful familiar. And another give away was-----no flaking.

Gar Scales! Well, again I learn something new! Yes, your Caracara point IS larger than average. I had one that I sold at Temple last june, that was 3 & 5/8 inches long, and a Beauty. It brought a very good price!

Mike you are awsome! I have learned alot from you, you and Hal are very sharp! I am 32 and I don't know near what I thought I knew! If I may ask without intruding, how much did you get for the caracara? I promise I won't tell anybody!:) my caracara is exactly 2 1/4! What is it worth? I won't hold it to ya! By the way it was found on a camp that was dug by UT, in atascosa county! Massive burials where the point was found!

Until Te identified the points in the pic above, I had forgotten I actually had an entire frame of them.
Here's a pic of Te & I reviewing the frame, note Mike in the backround, probably wondering if I would part with any of the scales for him sell !

Photobucket

It's a Gar SKELETON I found on Lake Travis. The scales had interlocked when the ants ate the insides out leaving a perfect "frame" of scales just waiting to the pryed off one at a time to put a base on .

Hal, you have in your hand a ready made ****nal of ready made points. I don't know if any modification had to be done, like grinding, to make a point out of the scales. Just think about how many Indian bullets could come off of one good sized gar. Now that's the Walmart of Indian point shopping. Think about the ramifications of trade with other tribes.

Yes Indeed, I just knew Hal would post his Prize Fishy

Find,....and thats what I love about him, as Shallow

Hal Digs DEEP into the mysteries of the ancients for

answers! Tehuacana's acute recognition prompted Hal's

Great detective work for the conclusion! Bravo

gentlemen,..Bravo!!

ie: Walmart will now be offering a build it yourself

Gar Scale Hunting Kit (cheaper than Cabellas), and

instead of natural tar mastic from the beaches to haft

your scales with, their product SHOE GOO, will do an

Excellent job! (LMAO)

I bet they could trade one good sized gar for 6 beaver skins and two new wives. Think about the amount of time saved knapping out points when you could trade for a 6 months supply that comes on its very own travel bag. That is if you could stand the smell.

Cluton, No, I don't mind telling you what I got for
that large Caracara Point. It was a G-9 that went for
$325. at the 08 Annual show at Temple,Tx. The monster
G-9 & 10 Pandales were sold to Todd Chisholm (S.A.
Dealer)from $140. to $220. at the same show. ALL of
the points came from our cave site here at our ranch
in Edwards County,Tx.
Thanks for your comments!