Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hal! More stuff for ya to see out of bastrop county! What a week!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
came out of hole today! Still 1 1/2ft down, went 4 ft down today no flake or points! Just between 11/2 and 2 ft! What a San Saba, the little scallorn is a beauty too!

Re: Hal! More stuff for ya to see out of bastrop county! What a week!

Your on a good roll Clut, keep em a comin out!

Thanks Mike! I hope they keep comin out! I'm gonna keep grindin on this sand, it's hard to stop when it's been so good! I've got an addiction, diggin in sand!:) I guess I'm in a woodland camp now for sure! And I think you were right on with the point ID, Figuero, I would bet the house! No archaic stuff yet, but I've only dug about 12 x 5 ft ditch! Maybe an archaic level will show up soon but I'm not complaining at all!

Congratulations ( I guess ) if you were around when Tucker found His rich vein, the down side of flint
lottery wins is the financial drain to buy enough new display frames.

Couple more comments then your on your own ;;;
Such young points at the relatively shallow depth seems to indicate that that particular area is not flash flood prone, so if earlier generations left
anything, it should still be there.

Mike had pointed out that the area looked a perfect ancient campsite, spring, level ground, etc. well those same conditions would have attracted much earlier visitors to that locale. Campsites can be very large, maybe the deeper zone is not exactly where
you have started.

I once had good but limited success with a homemade auger drill. handmade a drill bit similar to post hole diggers, welded an extra rod on to about 3 feet.
( bit about 4 inch diameter } bought a proper Home Depot brace. Worked great, I did find some deep flakes that told of the lower strata. . . but, in my areas I was finally shut down because the small drill bit cant handle extracting the fire rock too well.
Your sandy soils sound a likely candidate for "test drilling" Note, I have seen one brand of DOG ANCHOR that would do the job great ! ( know what I mean ?, the corkscrew like hardware pet owners use to moor their animal to the ground at the beach )

Lastly and it's probably just an isolated accident. . . for those of us that look for the dividing line between medium sized missile points to the rediculously teeny bird points, , note that your
bird finds date to around 1200 yrs BP. . . IF that is indeed a San Saba, that could date to 3000 yrs BP.

Have a nice day

It may take a while to define you campsite perimeters,

as it takes lots of time to place enough test holes,

etc. I would think the odds of having ab archaic layer

there, would be greater than not. If you do not find

it beneath the sand wash, try further upslope, but

stay reasonably close to the spring, as you could

actually be on or along the flanking edge of an older

camp. An old friend of mine had a site similar to

yours over at LaGrange just off the Colorado River,

and the spring pool was deep enough to set up a sub-

mersible pump & generator. Built a large sleuse box

with 3/16 inch mesh, and used a farm tracor for

loading the sandy soil. Found bucket loads of good

arrow points that way. Stayed wet alot, but was alot

of fun. Best of Luck!

Thanks guys for the advice! I have been milkin you guys for info, I know! I'm just trying to learn! I will try the test hole ideas for sure! Thank you guys for your help, I love to study and be efficient at what I do! I am going to map site and map test holes too! Believe it or not I mapped and cataloged every surface find for years! It has helped me! I appreciate the time you guys take to help and encourage people! Tomorrow I will be at it again!

Monsoon or shine ?

I doubt that he will melt in the rain, and besides, sand is alot easier to deal with wet than mud/clay!

Mike you were right about the sand not too wet! We found two brokes then my cousin and I both went about 4 ft down and hit spring flow! Filled up both holes in about 5 minutes! Couldn't believe it, we just stood there in amazment!:) oh well, just go a little higher and on the level spot and pray to find another honey hole till water subsides! We hit the coolest thing today! A whole load of charcoal withrocks around it! It was really an old fire, it was cool! I did found a tooth right at it, it is old too!

SH

I once had good but limited success with a homemade auger drill. handmade a drill bit similar to post hole diggers, welded an extra rod on to about 3 feet.
( bit about 4 inch diameter } bought a proper Home Depot brace. Worked great, I did find some deep flakes that told of the lower strata. . . but, in my areas I was finally shut down because the small drill bit cant handle extracting the fire rock too well.
Your sandy soils sound a likely candidate for "test drilling" Note, I have seen one brand of DOG ANCHOR that would do the job great ! ( know what I mean ?, the corkscrew like hardware pet owners use to moor their animal to the ground at the beach )

At the posting above..I had not seen / used the "auger " in about 8 years.. I recently got it out of the storage locker labeled " IMPORTANT NEW TOOLS, PATENT PENDING "

I used it on a recent ranch exploration.

Photobucket

I did not make any spectacular finds but it certainly gave me a reading not to waste more time on a hand
dug test hole at that area.

Photobucket

I was really enthused when I first created the auger..connecting rods go to 30 inches. small to large bits are to deal with fire rock soil ( smallest will grunch around a fire rock, larger will jam )

Photobucket

Bit designs are varied, just anything I could think of to move dirt. Big roots will stop any of them cold

Photobucket

This is a new hi tech millennium...better improved devices should be possible. The auger set as shown needs EXTREME metal working tools ( and time )...

For a very easy test auger ,,, I still suggest the dog anchor

I only use augers for ice fishing never thought of digging.

Snoop diggins
I only use augers for ice fishing never thought of digging.

Any auger is purely to get a fast look at subsurface soils looking for camp signs, not actual "digging"

Never thought of an ice auger, might work if you can get enough muscle behind it to deal with stones.
East TX sands would be a perfect challenge