Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dug deep, this point was there! What is this one?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
We started 2 new holes! Went down all the way to clay, this point was in clay! What is it? Also found a broke blade at clay level and a broke bird point up higher! I checked overstreet I can't see what it is!

Re: Dug deep, this point was there! What is this one?

I think the highest probability, is Williams, (middle

archaic to woodland). The encouraging part is that the

clay layer might be marking transition into archaic

beneath.Hopefully the clay layer isn't too hard, as at

least in one of your holes, you need to attempt to go

deep as you can into the clay for verification. It

will help to prove or disprove in search of an archaic

layer. It may be extra work without much reward, but

is still valuable info. in your search, because if it

is there, of course you don't want to miss it. IF it

is there, I'd say your pretty darn close with a point

like this.

Cluton;

I surface hunt in Bastrop but can dig but never have. I have found quiet a bit in one area. What part of the county are is your site? Just want to see if we are close. I have found mine just off of 71 at Hwy 21.
I have sent pictures of my finds to Michelle for an expert oponion on whether to dig or not.

stonedave

I'm way up in north bastrop county! Near Elgin! I have hunted heads on surface a couple of miles from your spot! There are some good places around bastrop along river and bigger creeks! You should dig, I have a good collection of surface finds but digging has produced alot of whole points in a short time span! I never thought digging could be so productive!

Charlie, I have digging in Bastrop Co. for several years on my property. I have from 1 to 3 foot of sand before I hit red clay. In my experience, there is nothing in the red clay except for the top 1 or 2 inches. I find both paleo and early archaic stuff mixed together right down on top of the red clay. I have dug a little in the clay, but its always been a sterile zone. I bet as you expand your area dug you will begin to find some early stuff down on top of the clay as I have. This red clay seems to have been deposited here before the indian occupation time began. Say hi to your dad Dennis, I hunted with ya'll on the Jacobs ranch in 1995 I think it was. It never hurts to do a test dig in the clay though, your site may be different but I doubt it.

I think I do remember you sir! Hope you have been well! I think you are correct with the clay level! A couple of points have been found in the first couple inches of clay, but most have been in the first couple feet of sand! I will start hittin flakes then usually a point or broke will be there! It's just so sporadic! I've dug about ten test holes and only one really produced, the rest a point here and there! I'm new to diggin so the advice is greatly appreciated! Are you here in Elgin? I will tell Dad you said hello, thank you for the advice!

Since this is not your own property I think you need to make hay while the sun shines and get all those points out of the sand in the best part of the camp. Be prudent showing the land owner and other folks all the great high dollar stuff you might find. The landowner may decide your getting too much valuable stuff from him for free, or other diggers may even try to lease the place out from under you. If someone offers the landowner a few thousand bucks for an annual digging lease that you're getting for free, are you real sure he won't take the money?? ON a pay dig or leased property, get those best areas dug first and take care showing what you find. You need not show us everything, just enough to keep us interested :) . To answer yur question, I'm still living and digging here outside Bastrop by about 3 miles on the banks of Cedar Creek. We'll have to get together sometime to see each other's points and swap digging stories.

Mr.Moore I talked to Dad today and told him you responded to this forum! He told me to tell you hello and that he remembers you as being one of his favorite hunters! He said you were very easy to talk too and he really enjoyed your company! I have also enjoyed your responses and advice! I do agree with you about showing too much and you make alot of sense! People these days just amaze me! I would hope nobody would undercut me, but I don't put it past people! I have been messin around on this property since I was twelve years old, Ive hunted it for free since I can remember! I will dig it hard in the future because you never know! I just love showin what I find because of the passion and work that goes into it! Good advice and I do appreciate it!