Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
indian graveyard

i know there is alot of myths about digging on a indian burial ground. how do u know if you are? is there certain points you find? i heard bad things happen to people who mess with stuff like that....

Re: indian graveyard

If you have ever dug in a campsite or rock midden you probly disturbed the bones of indains.I dug a burial about 20 years ago and Im still alive and digging The only bad thing that mite happen is people giveing you crap about it.

I know camps are supposed to yield points all over while burials have points or offerings buried close to corpses, I suppose that the best way to know is whether you find human bones or not.

As a central texas karst geologist, I have encountered

far more human remains digging open sinkholes in

search of caves than in indian campsite middens. This

is not to say that they didn't also have specific

burial sites, but a great many were buried in what we

would call a very unorthodox manner. Best advice is

don't worry about it, and if you find remains, re-bury

them and stay very quiet about it.

In 1994 Tom Hester edited a fine book entitled: Hunter-Gatherer Mortuary Practices during the Central Texas Archaic. All of the burials in the study came from a sinkhole in Kerr County. The remains of the 62 individuals recovered from the site yielded valuable bioarchaeological information on age, disease, diet, distribution and fossilization. Digging in a burial ground can be a controversial practice but the decision to dig or not to dig is under the control of the landowner. There is no law in the state of Texas protecting unmarked graves on private property. Depending on the soil type, bones may deteriorate over the years and the first clue you may have that you are into a burial will be human teeth. Teeth last for a long time. I have heard people say that digging in a burial ground is bad mojo or bad karma, whatever that might mean. It is like a lot of things, if you personally think its wrong then don't do it and like Mike said, if you do it, its good idea to keep quiet about it.