Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Where to dig?

Hello! I am new to looking for tips and artifacts. I am searching on a piece of property outside of fredericksburg, TX that my parents own. All I have done is surface hunting and I keep finding broken tips, I have found areas that seem to have more indian signs.. like broken flint and areas where rocks are just piled unnaturally. So do I just pick a spot and start digging? What makes a spot better than another? Everytime I find a broken point I mark it, do I just start digging there? Two creeks meet on the property and I have noticed a lot of indian signs there but not yet found a broken point in that area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Where to dig?

I know where your at! I didn't know what to do! I didn't even find a point where I started and I just used my head like you seem to be! I picked a spot and it has yielded 6 perfect points and numerous brokes! I got lucky but you gotta start somewhere! I like the idea of where the two creeks meet, try it! I've surface hunted my whole life and have learned from it! This diggin is alittle different! It takes time and work, but it's worth it! Good luck, just use common sense, where would you camp? Then dig! Good luck bro!

ian,youll have to just start doing test digs.don't be shy on diggin deep.but if your finding broken stuff thats a very good sign,just meens over the past 100 years or so somebody has already picked up the good stuff.but over the past 10,000 years indians have probely camped all over that place.time to dig.have fun and post some pics for us.

Ian, Welcome aboard to the site! While your out walking around, stay reasonably close to the creeks, pay atention to areas that seem to offer better blockage of North winds, and if a midden is not obvious, look closely for burnt cooking rock, object being to find an old hearth. If you find one, try and determine it's center, and then step out to an estimated edge and put in a test hole. A decent test should be at least 1.5 feet deep by approx. 2.5 feet diameter, and then evaluate to findings of whether or not to go deeper or expand outwards. It may take several test holes to figure thing out, so don't get discouraged, as its just part of what anybody would go through. There are several good people there in Fredricksburg that could potentially help you out, so if you'd like to contact them for some assistance/ advice, let me know(e-mail me), and will give you the info. Good Luck, the name of the game is patience, as artifacts are where you find them (only so many clues sometimes)!

Thank you all for the suggestions!! The protection from the north wind is a brilliant idea I havent thought about yet. There is two ridges on the property one of which protects from the north wind and has a creek running along it. I have found unfinished tips there and a bunch of broken flint. The ground is very hard there though with lots of rocks... the place where the two creeks meet is slightly higher ground but is all black soil. easy to dig.. so I will start there. I only have about a month and a half left before i have to leave for my military obligations so I will be very busy searching and digging!! Thank you again!

Good Luck Ian, was glad to maybe have helped!