Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ARIZONA INDIANS

Arizona Al took me on a field trip to one of his local ancient haunts.
It's about 2000 feet over the river seen in the bottom of the canyon...Rocks on the right is one wall of the site, about 5 feet thick. .

Photobucket

Al checking out the inner rooms structure..

Photobucket

Can you see that rock art up there ?

Photobucket

One of many different glyphs around the site. .

Photobucket

In that area they were long on pottery and short on flint !

Photobucket

As Al points out, howcum the ancients could use paints that lasted hundreds to THOUSANDS of years and
modern man has to repaint his house every 20 years.. .

Photobucket

EVERY plant in AZ has thorns, no less than TX. Al kept mumbling about how the site location was on the top of a volcano, , ,what did they do for water ??

Re: ARIZONA INDIANS

Looks like you had some good weather there Hal. Blue skies and short sleeve shirts. That was worth a trip by itself.
How hard was it to get up to the dwellings?

Did Al indicate what culture had occupied the site? Neat Place!

the good life of Hal

Hal when i die, i want to come back and be just like you!
You get to travel, dig and make all the shows, what a life! Are those sites not protected? One would think that all those pottery shards would of been picked up by archeologist long ago or protected by law?
Photobucket

Nate, Not sure of the range. We were south of flagstaff. As tour guide, Al just said, " get out here"

Te, Winter in AZ is definitely the advisable time to be exploring. ALL plants have thorns so its never a straight line in climbing then mix that with a very sheer area where the climable areas are thorn covered its pretty bad. I'm told in the full sun 140* temp of summer, asside from more nasty vegitation, in climing on bare rock you can actually wind up with burn blisters from touching baked rock.

Al says some sites are almost inacessable to the casual visitor. The ancients had reasonable sized tree trunks notched for ladders and these are certainly gone now.

MW, Sorry to say I really cant remember the name of the peoples that were identified with this particular site. The pottery is a well studied marker in all of Az so they could be fairly confident in identification. Stone tools were at a minimum so it must be a bit tougher on the Arizona archaeologists.

RG, AZ is a whole different country from TX. . .About 60% of the land is fully accessable to the public. Just park your car and step over any fences. Federal forests naturally have the same rules as Tx but a huge part of the lands are BLM. Game hunting, mineral prospecting and surface hunting ancient sites is completely permitted. Prospecting needs a bit of scratching the ground but ZERO digging is permitted on any area that qualifies as an ancient site. Pottery shard collecting is a statewide hobby.

You are right Nate. Most of the stuff is protected by law. I don't know anyone here who takes the time to carry the stuff out. There are sites where there is more pottery on the ground then rocks, making the stuff not worth picking up. It does make for some good picture taking though. Unlike Texas, here, even on private land there seems to be no interest in taking the stuff home. If one wants a few nice pieces one only needs to walk around a new housing site and pick the stuff up when they are digging in the sewer lines.I worked for a archaeological group here for a few years digging sites for the state highway dept. Once we were done the state would bring in the heavy equipment and dig down ten feet to put in the new road bed leaving pills of dirt ten feet high with thousands of artifacts in them. Some of the neighbors would come over and the boss would tell them that the stuff moved by heavy equipment had on historical value and that they could have them. Once the job is done the artifacts just lay in the ditch forever.