Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help on these

Surface finds in Bastrop. Would like some expert opinions.

StoneDave

Re: Help on these

I followed instructions but did not get the results I needed. Will try again to post picutes.

Stonedave

Could not get the picture to post but here is the link to the photo. I will keep trying.

Stonedave

http://www.seehere.com/imgStartEditImage.do?imgEditImageSubSID=6&editImageSessionId=60c2898e-7c6f-44bc-bc91-ba5c236afc33&successUrl=%2FmyPhotosShowAlbumContent.do%3Fid%3D181322&albumItemId=6658154&editorPage=album.item.detail.page

Used photbucket to see if works better.

Still no go ! Here's the long way I use. . .

If you have the pics on Photobucket it's just a matter of doing the right "pasting" sequence.

Say you start on Photobucket.

Now back to your homepage.

now to AD, start the message you want to do, leave the cursur on a clean line

Back to PhtoB, under the pic, click on HTML CODE.

move to top left, click EDIT

Now click COPY

Now click back to AD.

Top left click EDIT

Now click PASTE. . . .

A whole bunck of garble should appear,

Click PREVIEW MESSAGE, hopefully that will display your intended message then punch POST MESSAGE.

No Good ? . . . . . back to top

One more try!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

It worked. Thanks to SH. I really appreciate it.

Dave

Hey Dave! I hunt in bastrop county too! I used to hunt a quarry camp near bastrop! A hill with just flint rocks, massive amounts! Near the hill on level ground we found alot of stuff like you have! Big rough preforms, big scrapers, brokes out the butt, and a few good ones! The good ones were always away from the quarry hill! I bet you have a rocky hill close by! Just find the main camp and dig, dig to the clay! Keep testing until you found good ones hope this helps, probably didn't! To me it looks like alot of first stage preforms! There has to be some good points around there somewhere! Good luck!

Good artifacts, all nicely worked for a purpose, preforms, scrapers and choppers are all part of history. Cluton's input is as sound as it gets.

Good show

Cluton;

I would like to meet with you an discuss the location that these were found on. If that is possible let me know.

Dave

Dave where do you live? I'm in Elgin, so let me know if I can help!

Cluton;

I live and work in Bastrop. I'm available almost anytime. Let me know and I will give you a number to call.

Dave

I really believe this is 1200 + old stuff i never buy the preform story on the thick points just for the fact a point cant be flaked at the stage the thick crude deep flaking that is their . Those are finished points but very old palio stuff . I have points same color same flaking patterns as those in your pics found in williamson county

Rick; the pictures are not close up on some of the items. Some are worked very finely. As far as preforms I have found well in excess of 100 that are large. I keep them in a #2 wash tub.

I am very new at this and want to dig but need to find the most likely area.

Dave

Dave paleo stuff is very rare, there just weren't many people! There is a possibility some might be paleo, but refering to the other comment, those are not finished paleo points! Alot of people think that the crude big points are paleo, actually paleo points are for the most part the finest ( prettiest) points ever flaked! Like I said before, there is alot of knapping material somewhere close and those are early stage preforms and stuff they were just messin with! Like Hal said, they are all great artifacts and as for me I pick em' all up and take em' home! You have some points in there, there has to be a spot where they finely tuned all of there projects! I had a spot just like it, tons of artifacts! Have you ever found any whole points in this spot?

I'll have to agree with cluton on this one all the way, the few paleo points I have are flakes distinctly well. It seems that by the time people arrived here in north America they had mastered the art of knapping, in fact most crude points I find come from the middle archaic levels I dig. I think that your stuff, ( the thick stuff), are choppers scrapers and the like, used for a short period and then discareded. They are a good sighn of occupation though!!!! Dig down and you may hit the jackpot.

Cluton;

I have found several finished pieces. We need to get together and you can take a closer look at the points and get a better idea of what they are.

Dave

Tucker;

I am planning to dig but need to pin point the most likely area to do a test hole.

Dave

If I can make a suggestion, dig within 100 yards of a water source, and a place with north wind shelter. I have seen four sites in Kendall county and all had some sort of rock bluff or hill blocking a north wind. I was told this made camping in the winter easier, just some food for thought. Good luck

SH
Still no go ! Here's the long way I use. . .

If you have the pics on Photobucket it's just a matter of doing the right "pasting" sequence.

Say you start on Photobucket.

Now back to your homepage.

now to AD, start the message you want to do, leave the cursur on a clean line

Back to PhtoB, under the pic, click on HTML CODE.

move to top left, click EDIT

Now click COPY

Now click back to AD.

Top left click EDIT

Now click PASTE. . . .

A whole bunck of garble should appear,

Click PREVIEW MESSAGE, hopefully that will display your intended message then punch POST MESSAGE.

No Good ? . . . . . back to top

Brad, here's some more words. . .(above )
You'll get the hang of the pic posting soon then you'l be thinking "hell this is no harder than riding
a bike "

Brought forward for posting pics ( see post near the bottom )

Cluton i believe we may be hunting the same area ive done quite well here

Hey bud I haven't posted in months, where do you hunt?