Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
i think i found the battle of medina on my land found many artifacts what do i do

I found many artifacts on my site just laying on top of the dirt...I have a renter on my land and his horse ate a lot of the grass ...guess what was under the grass...many artifacts from the battle of medina...i do not know what to do.. their is a tree and a small little river..the tree is about 350 t0 400 years old...what should i do ...any one out their that could help me

artifacts

What type of artifacts are you finding?

Re: i think i found the battle of medina on my land found many artifacts what do i do

well if you are interested in letting a few people come out and dig just to see what all can be unearthed i sure would love to give it a try. where abouts you located?

If you really found it....get a good detector and hunt the heck out of it....

People have been looking for that site for many years. Numerous State of Texas archeologists, TxDOT archeologists, several large University archeological groups and many other groups are looking for that site as I write. There was a group down in the area last weekend looking,....and I have no doubt, MANY individuals with detectors have been and are still looking. Even T-Net has a group that is looking for the site and has made numerous trips to the area with a fairly large number of people swinging detectors.

Later !
HHg

Re: If you really found it....get a good detector and hunt the heck out of it....

I smell fish..

Re: I smell a fish....

Not sure what you intended with the remark,.....but I've been on this forum for quite a while, just rarely post. I'm telling it like it is. Keep quiet about it and hunt the heck out of it while you can !

HHg

what do you mean by i smell a fish

No offense intended sir. I only said I smell Fish, not "a fish" meaning that your posting was suspect. I could have, and should have used different wording. I was meaning "something exciting could be up", in a good way, not to offend. Please accept my sincere apologies. Up in Idaho when the Salmon run starts we use that term meaning good times are coming. Getting a chance to see the 1813 Battlesite would be real great. Now that I am under the bus, I am sure to never see it. I am sorry

Re: i think i found the battle of medina on my land found many artifacts what do i do

FISH in Idaho I thought it was all edge to edge potato farm !

rick, Google MEDINA BATTLE, that shows several agencies that have reserched the historical details
of the battle and would be interested in finds.

There is also listed a Medina tank battle of Feb 27, 1991 Persian Gulf that would have left some pretty identifiable wreckage.

If Rick really wants to turn the site over,...I know the TxDOT archeologists.....

OR,.....if Rick would like some help in retrieving the artifacts,....I'D BE MOST HAPPY TO HELP !! I swing the Fisher F75 and have been a detectorist for well over 20 years. That battle turned into a running battle and there will be relics for acres upon acres beginning with the actual site and then the retreat route. I would also try to locate the campsites prior to the battle and after the battle.

If this is the actual site,.....sometime down the road, the Historical Commission should be contacted and placement of an historical marker should be allowed.

HHg

Nearly 200 years ago

and artifacts are laying on the surface, beneath grass? I would find that hard to believe, i would imagine that they'd be buried under at least a couple of inches of top soil, after nearly 200 years. Post a pick or two of what you're talking about, you don't have to give away the site, just show an artifact laying on the surface. My guess is that it's just remnants of man just tossing their junk out in the trash heap. Best of luck with whatever you have found!

RGS....You are so right,.....the area is pretty sandy.....

most relics would have sunk pretty deep,...and the heavier relics would probably be out of normal detecting range. Relics on the top of the ground in that whole area would be "unlikey".

Q and A

You never answered my question. What type of artifacts are you finding. I would also like to know what makes you believe these artifacts are from this battle.

Chris J

Re: Q and A

see attached .
this is the copy of the news article on my renter thats in my property

http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/southside/Man_believes_he_found_site_of_bloody_battle.html

Re: RGS....You are so right,.....the area is pretty sandy.....

see article of my renter thats renting my property

http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/southside/Man_believes_he_found_site_of_bloody_battle.html

Re: If Rick really wants to turn the site over,...I know the TxDOT archeologists.....

hhg I will be flying out to San Antonio ..in the next two to three weeks...
you can help me find artifacts the right way...
I have another 30 arces next to that land..
my e mail is coastalkeyrealty@sbcglobal.net

Re: If Rick really wants to turn the site over,...I know the TxDOT archeologists.....

everyone check out the article my tenent called the news paper ..and now three different papers have went out their..and pbs wants to come out

I will sale the land ...
Does any one know someone that whats to buy the area were the battle of medina actually happened

rick melfe
I will sale the land ...
Does any one know someone that whats to buy the area were the battle of medina actually happened

“There was some evidence that it might have occurred there,” Thonhoff said of the Leming site, but even Thonhoff is not absolutely convinced he is correct. “There ought to be artifacts in abundance and that is not the case.”

I would have to say "actually" is not a word you should use when trying to sell the land.

The history of the Battle of Medina has always been full of conflicting reports from the various parties involved in the fight. The one thing all parties agreed on was that the battle was fought in an area of deep sand between two hills covered with oak trees. This sandy area was known as the Encinal de Medina. Artifacts in deep sandy land are generally found down against the hard pan with nothing on the surface.