Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Diggin Finds !

It is nice to see the rains have gone. I finally got to dig for the morning and found some goodies. I am heading to Rolands this weekend so if anyone is interested in going give me a holler. Great weather is forecasted for the Nueces.

The site. Lots of clams, snails and all sorts of stuff.

Photobucket

I pulled out a couple early, a nice Bulverde and Perd.

Photobucket

The Bulverde in Situ.

Photobucket

This great San Gabriel popped out, until I figured out a Great White took a bite out of it.

Photobucket

The days catch... And of course my day would never be complete without finding another Mano.

Photobucket

Re: Diggin Finds !

Dont you ever find any broken Manos ?

Good finds,interesting to see different dig areas. Bit unusual looking soil conditions, no black fire
rock smattered dirt to be seen. !

What are you doing with all your Manos ?. . . In a super deep frame moved around with a refrigerator hand
dolly ?

Hal,
I have only the finest of Manos, and when I head to Rolands this weekend, I hope to accent my collection with some fine scrapers. I will bring the hand truck.

That is the little camp 50 yards north of my house. It goes all the way to the bridge. The Lampasas River is to the right of the picture. I told Michelle about it. Dwain digs there and likes the sign in it. Not much fire rock but some real killers have came out of it. One was a completly clear Angostura. One was an G10 6" Carrizo and a 7" Museum Friday Blade.
Bill

And I will add that Bill is a most gracious person to let the old guy come out and scratch around. I have said a prayer for his Backhoe's recovery ! Thanks Bill.

bill arnold
That is the little camp 50 yards north of my house. It goes all the way to the bridge. The Lampasas River is to the right of the picture. I told Michelle about it. Dwain digs there and likes the sign in it. Not much fire rock but some real killers have came out of it. One was a completly clear Angostura. One was an G10 6" Carrizo and a 7" Museum Friday Blade.
Bill

To hell with a " rare " Corner tang. . . . I'm after a CLEAR POINT. B, was that clear Angostura a white
clear color or just a purdy thin translucent root beer ? Anybody got a pic ?
I've been on this kick now for a few weeks. . . Ever since a friend of mine related that he was at
TJ's last year and a guy found a GLASS CLEAR big Perd.
Wouldn't sell it and presumably NO pic.
Badger found that white, almost glass see through GORGET last year.
A long time ago that lady Sandy from NW TX posted a "clear " point and as I recall it was thought to be
Topaz. How big a block does Topaz come in ? Like the Hope Diamond !

Ida, Reason I was asking about your Mano collection is that most wind up lining the tomato section of the garden. .. . . A real shame as even though they dont have the delicate long Barbs we all love, they are a genuine treasure. Matter of fact, If your holding a Mano with the well worn flats on both sides, and the ends pecked round for comfortable hand holding. . . One can imaging the HOURS the original owner spent with that kitchen apliance. By Comparison
One of those ultra thin Montells has ZERO history...
The knapper must have finished knapping and carefully laid it asside so it wouldn't get damaged !

So how would you display blocks of rocks. Here's a pic I'm calling back from a few years ago when the
subject first came up. Get a $2.00 WOVEN leather belt from a thrift shop. Fashion cradles from coat hanger wire. Drive a spike in the wall

Photobucket

Hal- Good evening. Although I am often made fun of, I have a great collection of Manos, paint bowls and scrapers. And they dont reside in my garden plot with the potatoes. Points are great but if you're looking for camp history, flint tools are cool. I have two shelves of them and each have a history. Thats why I am heading to Rolands on Friday, I am interested in the "industrial" stuff. Kerrs, rootbeer scrapers and points if they happen to come along. You should come.

rgs had posted this link last year on Topaz points.
http://arrowheadology.com/texas-topaz-true-gemstone-points/. Yep, clear ones are out there, just rare.
I hadn't found one yet, shucks.

Ach so, now I know roughly where your at, The old digging BEHIND the camera was 17 feet deeper !

Idaho. . . . I'm invited out to the huge " 40TH BIRTHDAYFEST " dig at TJ's this Sunday. It's a once in a lifetime event !

I'm bringing a picture of the birthday child as She will still be in the recovery room til Tuesday

Sounds like a blast. I will be at Shoepeg as well on Sunday just not all day. Saturday at Rolands to warm up. I will be sore for weeks

Hal the Angostura was made from CLEAR quartz. I sold it a few years ago to Shannon Graham at Texas Points.
I am going to email him and get a picture with Dwains COA to post.
Bill

What do fire rocks look like? I know what they are.. where native americans burned the rocks.. but I am having difficulty distinguishing..

bill arnold
Hal the Angostura was made from CLEAR quartz. I sold it a few years ago to Shannon Graham at Texas Points.
I am going to email him and get a picture with Dwains COA to post.
Bill

TJ was able to do a trade for the clear Perd. He will be bringing it to the Buchanan Dam show in March.
( said it is clear QUARTZ )

Ida, Reason I was asking about your Mano collection is that most wind up lining the tomato section of the garden. .. . . A real shame as even though they dont have the delicate long Barbs we all love, they are a genuine treasure. Matter of fact, If your holding a Mano with the well worn flats on both sides, and the ends pecked round for comfortable hand holding. . . One can imaging the HOURS the original owner spent with that kitchen appliance. By Comparison
One of those ultra thin Montells has ZERO history...
The knapper must have finished knapping and carefully laid it aside so it wouldn't get damaged !

So how would you display blocks of rocks. Here's a pic I'm calling back from a few years ago when the
subject first came up. Get a $2.00 WOVEN leather belt from a thrift shop. Fashion cradles from coat hanger wire. Drive a spike in the wall

Photobucket[/quote]