Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
To Lunkerbrad

Hey Lunker. Heading to Rolands agin this weekend to dig that 16 area. You mentioned you found a good snail layer in that hole you were diggin on top of 16? How far down was it? You found some occupation layer? How thick was it? And you were finding some brokes? Your advice will be appreciated. I have enough Manos so I am going for points this weekend. You be there? Gman?

Re: To Lunkerbrad

Idahoe,
Yes we will be there. Right now it looks like we will be leaving Ft. Worth at 1AM, arriving there at about 7AM, staying Sat. night and depending on what is found, leaving sometime Sunday noonish or.......

gman-Gordon

I'll get that dirt warmed up for ya ! See ya then, drive safe !

I hear ya, boogies down thar... Come and dig with us.

Re: To Lunkerbrad [ et al ]

Ida, here's some words for your attack on site 16. I camped there Sat night after TJ's. I had to leave early in the morn AFTER leveling the floor of the deep one and digging a pure test hole one foot square X 2 feet deep.
Photobucket

Pretty near bottom of the deepest part I got 5 proper flint flakes [ from knapping ] I doubt you'll find any tools or mano in that soil. IF you can move enough soil, whatever you find worked is going to be
good quality.

To up your chances for good finds, before you get your clothes all dirty, stop in that #15 church and
like crazy.

Hal. Thank you! I have offered prayers. Thats what I am concerned with, the height of that mound/camp tells me we have points 6-12 feet deep. Although the top 24 will have goodies, the great stuff is well below, That ridge is a flood mound from an Archaic river channel and that ridge used to be in the middle of the river.., my opinion..It was a travel path after the river corrected, likely not camp, and the big Archaic camp/midden is on the church grounds. Its dead level with the rock ledge on the other side where we dug on the plate. The ridge is scattered finds and if we find em, they will be spectacular and deep. I may be wrong and i'm usually never right but... . Im going to the side of the Ridge on the side near the Nueces. Start 12 feet down the side and go in. I know where they are. Will you join us for the weekend? We have lots of shovel power. I am counting on you.

Wow. . . For an Idahodian you have a really good grasp of TX archaeology ! I agree with your assesments.
Those flakes I found in the test hole, I did measure
exactly seven feet down with no signs of a real habitatation strata. Just those test finds justify
the work ( someones elses work ) to do a test hole but thats really a lousy spot to waste time on right now. . . The roots that hinder further progress from the 500 yr old tree are as big around as above ground
100 yr old trees.
EXCELLENT to go in sideways. Instead of digging in the "standard" L & R wall configuration, you might try an Up & down narrow trench.

I cant make it this weekend, dam turkeys too noisy !

The gods are calling you this weekend. We need that " Golden Shovel" of yours.

We will be rolling in at 3 on Friday and will stay thru Sunday noonish. I am bringing my diggin buddy Tom. He has a nose for points, watches me dig most of the time though. Hope you can make it. Maybe the dozer will be there, dont know.

Oh man. I feel a good weekend coming. I am sure you will have to go now. On the road tomorrow landing around 2:30. Cheers !