Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can you guys help me with these! I'm clueless!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
guys I'm sorry to wear you out, but I really cannot pinpoint these! They have basal grindin, I don't have a clue! Paleo or what?

Re: Can you guys help me with these! I'm clueless!

Oh, Andice fosho

Your point on the left appears to be a Barber. It is late paleo, and is usually somewhat thick and crude compared to Plainviews and Golodrinas. From a look at the base, your other point appears to be from the San Patrice family. San Patrices are usually found east of my areas of knowledge. I'm sure some of the east Texas diggers can tell which variety it may be.

F they have basal grinding then they are paleo, as to what they are... I agree with barber on point one, but I don't know about the second one

Hey tombstone get the chip of your shoulder! No sense in bein a punk! I actually was on your side, I was givin info I thought would help you! If that's the case then, I will not comment on your pic that you have been pushing! As for these I really didn't have a clue! Thank you guys for helping me out, I wish other people would be more like you guys! I try to be a nice guy, but some people can't be civil!

ASSUMING Paleo, even smallish, did you see the value of those points in the book ?

Next gathering of flint show experts just 31 days from today. No charge for verbal guestimates.

The values of which points Hal? The next show is Buchanan? I hope they are paleo, I think they have the look, but kinda rough lookin!

Cluton
The values of which points Hal? The next show is Buchanan? I hope they are paleo, I think they have the look, but kinda rough lookin!

Well it's generally agreed, basal grinding is a key indicator of very early archaic / paleo.

So until the Buchanan show, To look up $$$, use Barber
& Plainview

If I found that on my screen I would suspect Hoxie right away. Have found quite a few here. Can you see any resharpening bevels or a little twist? Then it's Hoxie if so I think. Barber is a much rarer point. You're liable to find 100 Hoxie's before just 1 Barber. But here's to hoping its a Barber :) , it looks more like a used up Hoxie to me though. Still early archaic, but much less $$$.

I don't see any twists or bevels! I do think massive amount of resharpening on both of em'! These came from a camp on one of the highest hills in bastrop county that also produced my Clovis, a plainview, a Clovis tip, and a couple of broke golondrias! But also alot of early archaic stuff too! I was thinkin barber and no clue on the other one at all! But the flaking is weird, just kinda rough, so maybe it is a used up hoxie or somethin else! The one on right is rough lookin too! The one on left has grinding, I'll just take em' to the show and see what they say! Thanks guys for the input!

try gower instead of barber or hoxie i have a gower drill with a rogers coa on it that looks very simular to the one with the bifurcated stem

Just got back from Austin and read you guys comments, and I'd have to go with Pat on this one (Gower). The point is beat up pretty good, but the base is OK.

. . . Barber = $ 250 > > > Gower $ 20.