Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Big one came out today! Deep diggin!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
came out deep on a sand hill bank! It's 4 5/8 in long!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
you can see base, it is a tad bit concaved! I can't tell exactly what is, flaking is pretty though! I don't know if it's a darl blade or older!

Re: Big one came out today! Deep diggin!

It doesn't look like a darl blade to me and it doesn't have any serrations. How deep exactly did it come from? It looks to me like a possible Friday knife, or something paleo.

Tucker it was about 4 1/2 to 5 ft down! Real deep for us! It might be a Friday! It has a paleo shape I just can't tell about the flaking! It is a beauty though, my cousin and I were both shaking when it hit the sifter, didn't even have to sift it was too big! Gotta love that! A few burnt rocks and a little flake, we were fixin to give up on the spot, then this thing came out!

Gorgeous, and a good report to go with it.

So now we know the answer to your querry from a few weeks ago. . . . " where shall I dig ? "

that my friend is only one thing plainview they grind them up here in north texas sometimes were you cant see any flaking it is a beaut nice find.

Oh my Cluton! I think plainveiw ,very nice find and very valuable!

Does it have paleo flaking? This thing is almost 5 inches long! If it's a plainview then it's the biggest one I've ever seen! I hope it is, don't get me wrong, but I can't even fathom it being a plainview! I was thinking skinny Friday, maybe darl( it's not a darl though), or just a nice pretty blade! Mike W. And Mr. Moore what y'all think? I need some advice!

If it a plainview what is the value, I have to know? I just have to know if that's truly what is is! Will thanks will for the comment! I'm still shakin when I pick it up! We are goin diggin again today! Maybe the sand hill will be good to us again! I have another exposed rock hearth I'm headin straight too! 5 ft and I don't care if back is hurtin!

I can only look at the book, Mike would be the expert. I would say over 5 for sure!

I think here in Bastrop county 5 ft deep will be in paleo/early archaic levels UNLESS a significant amount of that sand is blowsand, flood zone deposit from a creek, or washed down from a higher level above it. Without seeing your site, I can't say. If paleo, plainview or angostura knife are probable types for this blade is my guess.

Ok then it's waaaay too deep to be a darl blade, I'm thinking it's paleo, maybe plainview.... That's why I initially asked about the depth, it looked like a monster paleo something, but I didn't want to call it that cause I'm no good at id with paleo. Also the ones in overstreet (11 edit.), are listed as - grade 7, 4 inches 900-1700, and grade 9, 3.5 inches 650-1200$. So if a half inch adds 250-500 dollars on a point who's grade decreases by two points imagine adding a whole inch on that, and since it's completely intact... Wow it's worth a lot,that is if it is a plainview. My advice, get it papered ASAP whether you want to sell it or not. And whatever it is, or what it's worth, it's a beauty, congratulations!

Thanks Tucker! We are both still shaking, my cousin and I both just keep lookin at it! If it is in fact paleo, good gracious! I just told him today we need to send it in and get papered quick! How did y'all do today? Did y'all go diggin? Let me know!

plainviews were sometimes parellel flaked we have chirt and flint ones flaked just like it, and yes yours has some paleo flaking on it and yes they get big we have 2 that are 4 plus inches i will send pics soon. verey sweet deal. one more like that and i am moving to south texas lol..

yes we did go diggin today, I found two complete nolans, and some brokes, one of which would have been a heck of a castroville at probably over 5 inches, even though I only got the two inch base. I'll put up some pics tomorrow, good luck guys!

Charlie, most sites in Bastrop co have way less than 5 ft sand before hitting the non-occupational clay layer. However, I do know of certain areas in the brickyards sand pit near you where the occupied sand layers go 20ft+, so on a new site you need to do some testing to see how deep that non-occupied layer is. So if you can find a couple of paleo points/pieces/flakes at 5 ft with nothing below, you can be reasonably confident you have dug all layers.

I only live 2 miles from the brickyards! I have talked to many oldtimers and seen there collections from this area! Tons of paleo stuff! Most of the stuff we find are points in has sand that is very deep! Alcoa digs for coal right out here too and I've seen the sand levels well past 15 feet! Deep sand in this area, this big point came out at around 5ft and the clay is about 6 to 7 ft! There were tons of burnt rock above this point and a few flakes! Just this one point was deep! About 2 to 3 ft above this point came a Travis, a broke montell drill, and tons of burnt rock, like 5 to 6 in each little sifter load! My Clovis I found last year was at about 4 ft of sand then clay was about 5 ft! Thanks guys for all the comments, we will keep diggin later this week, I'll let ya know what comes out! I sure hope it's a plainview or somethin old!

Just got back to the ranch, and in the saddle again. I understand the confusion on this one! It is certainly within a depth range for plainview, but dose not exhibit any of the basal characteristics I look for in that type. Everything I have, points towards Pandora, of which is thought to be primarily a South Central Texas type, but actually it has been found all the way up to Waco,Tx. Not a bad choice to set in front Dwain Rogers to ID, but my feeling is that he would not say plainview,angostura,or darl blade.

Mike if it is a pandora! What would the value (guestimate of course) be? I had no idea what it was, and I was hesitate to get my hopes up! It's a nice find and we are glad it hit the sifter! I'll bring it to the buc show and see what they say! Thanks for the reply, glad to have you back online so we can bug you about IDs!

Cluton
Mike if it is a pandora! What would the value (guestimate of course) be? I had no idea what it was, and I was hesitate to get my hopes up! It's a nice find and we are glad it hit the sifter! I'll bring it to the buc show and see what they say! Thanks for the reply, glad to have you back online so we can bug you about IDs!

Money books sold at the show too, A must for successful finders like yourself

maybe a goshen blade or pandora blade. if it was that deep im guessing its a goshen blade. a big one was found in comanche and it looked very similar

Pandora is Late Archaic to Woodland. Yours looks like

a good grade 8, and one that size should fetch a good

a good price. Be aware that the Overstreet book

pricing guide,...is also called the " Overprice " book

by many dealers. Show prices in Texas are from 30% to

50% less typically. The best things going for yours is

the size, and grade. So, based upon that, it would

sell, at anywhere from $ 100. to $150. The present

artifacts market is slowed, due to economy, like alot

of other things, so best hang on to it for a while

which I think you intend to do anyway.

yea i do get confused on types sometimes the base did throw me, and was a bit narrow but again i am north texas go figure why i said plainview. ANY WHO CARES IT IS A EXCELLENT FIND.. great eye on the id exp1

Travis, Montell and Pandora all are in same time period....5500 before present to 1000 before present. You said you found Montell and Travis 2 to 3 ft above this point. It seems unlikely to be Pandora but I guess it could be an old Pandora (5500 bp) and some recent Montell and Travis (1000 bp). I have an angostura with random flaking and a straight base I found near McDade is why I suggested angostura.

Guys you all did great! I think this blade was just one of those that messes you up! I always like hearin what you guys say! I'm gonna take it to buc show and see what the experts say! Mike is probably right, and I'm cool with that! I'll take a big point in my sifter every time I don't care what it is! I was hesitate, I personally didn't see paleo flaking anyway! I hope I dig another one up tomorrow and really confuse you guys!:) you guys are great, I enjoy everything you guys have to say, I learn and laugh alot!

Well hey after the show, would you be sure to tell us the final verdict... Please!! I'm really interested to know what the "experts" say

Tucker for sure! I'll let y'all know, Im quite interested myself! I have a few more points to take and get looked at! I won't forget, if I do remind me!

Re: Big one came out today! Deep diggin!-Agate basin? Hester Opinion?

Could be an Agate Basin, considering the depth.
Where's Mr. Hester when you need him?