Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Best Day Ever

My wife and I went diggin' with some friends of ours yesterday . It was my best day ever and she made her first 2 finds ever! The 2on top are my best of day the other 2 are hers I'm thinkin Kinney on the blade and was curious about the bottom right. Any thoughts? PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Just wanted to say ,can't thank my buddy enough! thats my first blade

Re: Best Day Ever

That blade looks more like a
Carrizo to me, Will. Those are some good finds.

Thanks Tehuacana,would I find a Carrizo in the hill country, associated with chingles of Perds?

Could be Will, out of 6 books that I have that show them, their range does do into Central Texas, though rare, they are found even in your area. And the date/time range is about the same as Perds, middle archaic. Some general thought is they are a Kinney blade variant. They are a local South Texas favorite.

Wish I had more picture refrences, Carrizo greatly increases the value . All I have is the O 10th . Maybe Mike will pop in with some input ,Thanks Tehuacana!

Either way, it looks like a fine artifact.

Bet you are pumped! Good luck findin' more

Sam

thanks Sam, haven't seenyou post before are you from around the hill country ?

A nice point whatever it is, it has nice edgework. So tehuacana you say six books that include range? I looked at the fb show and couldn't find one other than the Dan Davis,(which was like 200 dollars and water damaged), or hesters guide which I have... So my question for you is what are the names? Any help on expanding my "library" would be greatly appreciated! thanks

WillTA
thanks Sam, haven't seenyou post before are you from around the hill country ?

W,, , , Sam IS the hill country. He doesn't post very much as it's a waste of time away from digging
. . .

Well Hal thats a fine reason not to post often

Hey WillTA,

Nice finds, you and your wife had a good day.

In my opinion, your point is a Kinney. You did not state the county found but everything looks "Hill Coutry". Carrizo has a very limited distribution area.

jh.

Thanks j, and yes it is hill country. Thanks Tucker, appreciate it ! I think we could have covered the tailgate in brokes, tools, choppers..it was an awesome half day!

Hey Tucker, Perino's is another book that has an extended range on the Carrizo.
My Carrizo's are generaly thicker then most Kinney blades. I'd posted one of my surface find Carrizo's back on June 1st. The base ears are either squared or rounded. All mine were found in area's that I'd also found Matamoros and Kinney blades.
I guess some of them are hard to pinpoint as to whether they're Kinney or Carrizo. True Carrizo's have been found in the hill country. Even Hester has them as found in some hill country sites.

Or should I say central Texas, not hill country.

It's a great Carrizo, the flaking is the best I've seen. Grade 10 if the tip is still there. Here's a pic of one of mine.
Carrizo

thanks silverbacker , appreciate the input! That,s good news, Ihaven't seen enough of either point to make a definite call ,but seeing your round eared Carrizo is encouraging.Thanks for sharing silverbacker!

Classic Kinney! Paul

Thanks for the info Paul, start'n to think I should flip a coin ;either way I like it. Maybe I should get papers ; it's my best point!Dig on Paul

Done some more research, Does anyone know if Carrizo points have alternat beveling ,or if this is something not associated with the point .Also, found a picture of Kinney and Carrizo side by side in a post from jonathan labeled " Kinney or Carrizo?" I guess I'll just call it what I want.... just as soon as decide what I want to call it!