Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OFF TOPIC !!: Any hunters to enlighten me about a gun for quail hunt this weekend?

I now this if off topic.. But I can get away with it, I know the owner! HAHA

I was given a Hunting Licensee (IMAGINE THAT!!) And a Bird Hunt this coming weekend for my 40th B-day!

I haven't shot in years and never have shot a "Shot Gun" ... I have no gun, I have no orange Vest!

I am looking for info! I need to find someone I know to borrow a gun from.. BUT I need to know what the heck I am looking for first!

One friend tried to let me borrow a 12 GA... Single Barrel.. HEAVY!!!!!!!! I will be skeet shooting after the hunt saturday as well and I think the sucker is just to heavy for me!

LIGHT girly gun (HAH! Ya I know but I am still a girl!) I might not be dainty.. But I sure can't hold up a 12 gauge all day either!

What is a LIGHT shot gun.. What rounds do I need..

This is a quail hunt. In Hondo this weekend! Woo Hoo!!

Keep your head down!

Michelle

Re: OFF TOPIC !!: Any hunters to enlighten me about a gun for quail hunt this weekend?

Hey Michelle- I have a nice orange shooting jacket with shell holders,bird pouch etc.. and a super fantastic orange, genuine South Dakota brand new hat complete with the the pheasant on the front. It will work in Texas. My 20 guage is back home, sorry. I shoot a lot of quail but not much time to do so. Email if you need what I have.

Re: OFF TOPIC !!: Any hunters to enlighten me about a gun for quail hunt this weekend?

I agree. I have 12, 16, and 20 gauge, and still like the 20 better. Single shots are better, seems like everybody I know that has semi's love to unload four or five shells on just one bird, then still miss. Think it's a macho thing.

I have a friend that says he will lend you his original 10 ga Punt gun.
Very economical, one shot should last you all week end.

I have used a single shot, a pump and a semi-automatic. My preference is a pump. For me, reloading a single shot takes my attention away from the target. However, more importantly and unfortunately, quail season in Texas ended last weekend, Feb 28.

Pretty hard to beat a remington 12 gage shot gun for quail, dove, or pheasant for that matter. Best Advice, go to a gun shop and ask to look at one with a modified stock. This means that it is shortened and made for a women to shoot. Might still be heavy, but you should be able to get use to it in a short time. Also might pay to pick up a pair of cheap ear muffs, as you should practice shooting it before you hunt with it. When your in the field walking with it, most hunters state that it carrys easiest by draping it over the fore arm (barrel down of course). When you get use to being startled by a covy of quail jumping up in front of you, you should be able to raise, aim, and shoot. It's like anything you would try, the more you do it, the better you get! Just respect it for what it is, use gun safety, and if you like it, who knows, you may wind up an NRA member, and start hunting bigger game! Oh yeah, there is a good shooting range out off of Nameless rd., going towards Cherry Hollow Sub. Think it's called Eagles Nest. Used to shoot there. Good Luck!

Helloo

WEll, I called to be sure amd they told me "Its a Preserve" And they can pick the dates they Quail Hunt..

So , Its quail! Don't HATE ! heheh

I am TRYING to get a hold of Odaho maybe tonight.. but if I cant borrow a jacket I will do something!

Thanks! I am really looking forward to it!

And skeet shooting after .. I wish we woudl skeet BEFORE!! Since I have never fired a shot gun!

Run Forest Run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, don't forget your ammo, and ear protection. A sore shoulder may happen regardless! Hope you get a skillet full! Annie.....get cher gun!!!

And a traditional bird hunters diner, KFC wings and beer !

Bon Apetite