Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is this an effigy?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
is this an effigy? Or just an ugly knife! What is it?

Re: Is this an effigy?

I'm gonna go with preform turkey tail turned scraper.
I think most things interpreted as effigies are more in the eye of the new beholder rather than the original owner. Like the "eagles" I've seen that are likely exhaused newnan drills.

I think your right! Is there really a turkey tail turned scraper?

I think that any point can go off course in it's production and then be utilized in some other way. They weren't much for wasting a good piece of stone/flint. Look at Hafted Scrapers which most likely started out as either points or were going to be points.

I just see a turkeytail turned scraper in that pic, rather than an effigy. But it's just an opinion.

It looks like a reworked Lerma to me. Turkeytails are not found in Texas.

It's ugly! It's my cousins, he thought it might be a fish or somethin! Thanks guys for the replies!

It is a Zella on steroids. I am positive.

Well here's my two cents. It is probably some specialized tool. The analogy I always
like to use is if you showed an Indian a belt sander, he'd probably think it was for cleaning buffalo hides. And the same could be said about our speculation on their tools. It was a completely different world back then, and they did things on a daily basis that many people go their whole lives without doing. So that's what fascinates me about these unique tools, but that's just my opinion.

I think what you have was used for shaft scraping/ hafting, and thinking more along the lines of a spokeshave, or variant tool. Intresting and good find!

Where you thinking of the word "Eccentric" rather than effigy? Which is a statue or model of a person of sorts.