Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ONE FOR THE BOOKS.....any ideas?

James Chumley sent me this photo of his find from here last Sat. Feb. 27th......
He said he found something in a book that looked similar...St.Charles.............any ideas out there??

Re: ONE FOR THE BOOKS.....any ideas?

Hey Roland. I looked at that point at the dig site, saw the depth it came out of, and I am certain it is a Bell. I have never heard of St Charles in Texas. The notches are Bell, possibly a early variant. Thats my two cents. I am sure the real experts will weight in on this one.

It does look like what I have seen of saint charles points. But idahoe is right about not being a texas point. It could be a trade or invasive point, but thats just a guess

never mind i see now that its on a snuff can not a tin can scale is everything

I would go along with Bell variant.

What was it about those poor Bell people to make them such variable Varients ?
Bell's are very plentiful along the Nueces at the various dig sites so some differences in manufacture
is logical. . . but how much of a stretch is possible while still keeping it within the family traditions.?

A Bat wing "Bell" is pretty wild, an almost an EXACT Andice [ with slightly shallower notches ] is the Norm.
Overstreet cant keep up with all the latest "varients".

I cant offer any alternatives right now but it came from Nachos new site at Chalk Bluff and it would be
interesting to see if any more are found at that one
site. . . . . OR was it indeed a Dove tail vistor from Missouri taking a spring break canoe trip down to Padre Island

Well Hal, I could have said Conejo, and not have been totally out of the ball park. It is a pity what Overstreet shows now for this type. The example in the 9th edition was more like it. And yes, that type is found in this area. Most of them I have found also have the convex base.