Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Darl?

was wondering if this was a Darl or Scottsbluff. The Scottsbluff that I've seen are a lot wider. but the Darl I've seen don't have the flared base. This one is 1 3/4in tall and a hair over 3/4in wide.

Photobucket

Re: Darl?

Looks like a small Hardin to me!

Mike Warton
Looks like a small Hardin to me!

I'm with Mike. . . BUT, , , , Chris should get some credit as the book clearly states " Hardin points are
believed to have evolved from the Scottsbluff type "
. . . .

Incidentally, thats a beautiful find, an oldie but a goodie.

Fair enough Hal,...I guess looks can be a bit decieving!

I checked Hardin in The Book, and it does look similar. I turned the page and saw the Harpeth River and the first example looks almost identical.

Chris J
I checked Hardin in The Book, and it does look similar. I turned the page and saw the Harpeth River and the first example looks almost identical.

Chris, I went looking for the River point you mentioned......After searching most of N. America,
I found it in the EC ( East Central ) zone. said to be "Kentucky into the southeastern states "

No matter, the basic rule still applies " the owner of a given point can call it anything he wants to "
Whatever,, , ,their all in the 9,000 yr old range !

I'm going with Dalton. Either Hemphill or Kisatchie could be the one.

It also depends on where it was found? That helps out a bunch when trying to identify a point.

Great find by the way.

Thanks easttex. It was found in Conroe,TX.

Chris J

It's nice whatever it is! So you creek hunted alot in Conroe? I went to school in Huntsville at Sam Houston for awhile, did some walkin around but never found anything! I creek hunt over here a little after it floods, find alot of brokes on the gravel!

I've lived in huntsville my whole life. It just so happened Conroe is where I found a couple of good creeks. I've been hunting Conroe for about three years now.

Chris J

Ever since you've been mentioning a certain creek on the boards, it has been getting hit HARD! Never use to be that way.

Little competition never hurt anybody! After it rains you better get there!!! Are these creeks on private property or public state creeks? All of our creeks around here are either private or state owned! I was just wondering? Well good luck creekin, I guess in east Texas there aren't many other places to look, ever tried diggin where these points are found?

Well shoot, I'm always up for a little competition...that's what makes it fun but it's another thing to go broadcast exact locations all over the internet. Just doesn't make a lick of sense to me but to each their own.

That's the spirit ETF! I know the feeling, I have some spots and everytime it rains I see these pigeon toed tracks! Big size 12 lookin feet! I got so mad for years, for years, but I learned somethin! I found some fine points, some of my best going over the same spots and tracks! He missed them and I didn't! You know why? I looked harder and concentrated more, made me a better surface hunter! So I learned to enjoy it even more! Don't sweat it, look harder and it will pay off!

Well, I gotta say I never expected my post to go this way. I'm the type of person that wants to bring others into my hobbies, if they're interested. I'm not one to say that I should be the only one to know about a good thing. I've met many people in that creek and expect to meet many more. I've even had the cops called on me. If you look back, I've been posting my finds on this site for some time. That creek has given me some amazing artifacts, ones that I try to share with everyone. As far as I know, the land around this creek is owned by Exxon and a forestry company, making it private property. It is not mine to say who can or can't go there. So in my opinion, I couldn't care less who goes there. I feel sorry for the person that feels they are the only ones entitled to a certain area. Maybe it's just me, but walking a creek alone is boring. And you're right, to each his own. Oh, by the way. I met a man in that creek one day. He was using a three pronged rake to check the gravel bars. As he walked away after checking a certain area, I looked at his spot and found a broken point, right on the surface. So Cluton got it right, look harder and enjoy! Hope to see ya'll out there.

lunkerbrad
folks that help out and shair alittle may get somthing in return . good carma.

That's right. I contacted a certain person on this board not too long ago about creek walking. They gave me a few of their spots for me to hunt. Totally not what I expected and it was greatly appreciated.

Finely stated, everyone has their opinion! Being a gentlemen is the most important thing! I do agree, looking for heads alone isn't much fun! A few weeks ago I dug into a nice camp, beautiful points coming out of the sifter, my cousin was going through a bad time in his life! I gave him my hole and knew it was fixin to produce! Within 1 hr he found a huge San Saba and a little bird! Perfect points! He forgot about his problems when he was yellin about his finds! Now that is fun, watchin someone forget their problems! Are points that go in your case really that important?

Hey Chris, I think you are missing my point COMPLETELY. Like I said in my post, I love the competition and enjoy finding points where their are footprints. I get a kick out of that. I have shared my spots with plenty of people (that I trust) over the years and the favor has been returned to me. That's completely different than sharing spots with thousands of people on the internet that you don't even know.If you can't see this fine line I am talking about then like I said, to each his own. I'll leave it at this....I only open my mouth to people that I actually know, not thousands and thousands of people (lurkers) that I don't even know. Think about that for a bit.

I have a friend that lives in that area and hunts that creek frequently. He said he hasn't noticed a change. I went yesterday and found a few. I understand your point completely, I just don't agree with it. Sounds like you're just having a hard time finding points.

Chris J

Glad you see my point completely. I thought you were losing it there for a sec.

Should any of the Stewart Creek diggers and creekwalkers want to elevate their sport a notch, at the time of the construction of the Charleston 9 on the RP golfcourse, a large campsite was supposedly stumbled upon and thereafter buried along Stewart Creek. They can always replant a fairway.

didn't know there was digging around conroe, especially around stewart's creek. Wonder how hard it would be to find who owns land on the creek. My buddy found his first point somewhere around the bridge (at the entrance?) in RP.

Hey Chris, don't you live in Austin now?

I live in Austin and in Bryan. Austin is home now, but I still work in Bryan.

I get everyother weekend off and I'm working this one. I'll shoot you an e-mail sometime this week and see if we can't work something up.

Chris J

I'll tell you one thing, the areas around Austin hold some of the best artifact hunting in the entire state of Texas. Since you have such a big mouth (haha) I'd be opening it up to people to find some spots out that way. I will be watching the board closely because we ALL know it won't be long till you'll be giving GPS coordinates to the hot spots! Not get to talking!!! lol

just giving ya a hard time.